• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kata applications

aznkarateboi

My school teaches kata, but is void in the bunkai department. It is horrible. I have to look to others and myself to find bunkai. I have been considering finding a different school, but this one is just minutes from my house. I only know of two other excellent schools in my area, and I they are too far from my home and work to make them practical to attend.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
My school teaches kata, but is void in the bunkai department. It is horrible. I have to look to others and myself to find bunkai. I have been considering finding a different school, but this one is just minutes from my house. I only know of two other excellent schools in my area, and I they are too far from my home and work to make them practical to attend.

That's disappointing...especially for an Okinawan karate dojo. Good luck in finding a good place to train.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Bunkai in my dojo is very important. They really emphasize Kata and often show us the application and meaning of each strike/block/stance. This way the student knows why they are executing the move and this way could use it when needed or even identify them anywhere. Others above this post have described why it is important a little better than I lol But yea, Bunkai is very important in my opinion.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."

-Bruce Lee