• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kata applications

aznkarateboi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata bunkai is the backbone of our training. We learn, develop and train them extensively. I will use the moves in sparring although not in competition type sparring.

I could teach kata and nothing else. It is all in there. Study your styles kata and bunkai and you will achieve untold depth in your style.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

The style i am training in is also kyokushin. we do pracitice kata. I think as far as using them in sparring goes, it depends on the students level. I believe the more they learn then, yes kata can be used in sparring. I'm a beginner and love it (orange belt) and am trying to learn all I can, so I have a question. What is bunkai?

Me :)

We always do applications they are very important and if the situation is there then yes by all means use them.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

It's nice to see so much attention given to bunkai, in the school of shotokan I trained we didn't do very much bunkai. One oyo bunaki pre kata.

I've had to go outside the dojo to a more traditional Okinawan club and train. I make sure my students understand what the kata is all about.

I'm a beginner and love it (orange belt) and am trying to learn all I can, so I have a question. What is bunkai?

Bunkai is Japanese for ti-chi-ki in Okinawan language, which means the applications of the moves in the kata. For example, the kata may have a shoto-uke "block", followed by jodan tsuki and a gedan barai. In kihon level this would mean "block a punch", "punch to face", "sweeping block downstairs". But when you study the fighting combo of it, what the kata designer meant when he taught it as a self defence move, it may mean that the opponent grabbed and pulled your arm and you used the "shoto-uke" move to take an elbow lock on him (or even just break his elbow altogether), then with the lock on, you turn him so you can punch his neck from the side or from behind, then you use the "gedan barai" as a neck-breaking finish.

So all moves in karate have their "kihon" basic meaning, and their self defence "kata bunkai" meaning and then they even have "oyo bunkai" meaning, which means that when you are a fighting expert you know how to invent new applications that weren't originally taught in the bunkai of the kata but are usable still.

Hope this helps.