• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'll agree with Black Dragon on this. My school teaches all of those aspects. Our instructors put a high emphasis on self defense training and pointing out the difference between competition sparring and street fighting. In addition to self defense we practice grappling, based on Brazilian Ju Jitsu and throws and joint locks from Judo.

In addition to learning the physical aspects of Tae Kwon Do, we must learn the history of our forms, a code of ethics and know them for testing.

I have faith in the Sabinum of my school as well as the head Instructor.

Then your school is an exception, not only that but it can't really be counted because its not exclusively TKD.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree with Black Dragon on this. My school teaches all of those aspects. Our instructors put a high emphasis on self defense training and pointing out the difference between competition sparring and street fighting. In addition to self defense we practice grappling, based on Brazilian Ju Jitsu and throws and joint locks from Judo.

In addition to learning the physical aspects of Tae Kwon Do, we must learn the history of our forms, a code of ethics and know them for testing.

I have faith in the Sabinum of my school as well as the head Instructor.

My school is also like this :)

Laurie F

I know it's the exception. I checked out a few schools before I ever walked into my school. This is also my 3rd go around at getting my black belt. I attended one of the give me 60 bucks a month for 3 years and i'll give you a black belt type schools.

And no, I will not say it's exclusively a TKD school. It's defiantly a mixed MA school. Further more, it's a family owned chain with schools all over the Front Range. But I will say that 90% of our training is in TKD (ITF based) and so far I haven't seen to many holes in the training.

My point was it all depends on the school you attend and the instructor you choose.

Nyteshades

I have done Taekwondo Jidokwan style fo rabout 8 years now. After all the schools I have seen and competitions I have been in it comes down to the line of sport and art. My Master a former Korean Tiger Demo member and Hodori Team member tell sus all the time about the differences. Ji Do Kwan is the School of Knowledge and we base everyting 50/50. Each sid eof body should be complete from punching ot kicking. We do not use sparring equipemnt when we train because we are taught to train our bodies into "iron". However we do go to competitions and you can see a remarkable difference between sport schhols and traditional schools with sport schools the kicks become sloppy and not effective only to get the point. When you watch traditional schools like ours you can see the kicks are landed with speed, accuracy, and quality technique. As well most sport schools dont emphasize punches because you can not score points easily with it unlike our training my comkpetitiors score points all the time with puches because they are solid.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

but wait, if you're aware of the fact that almost all the TKD pracititioners in this forum don't do it for sport, why bash TKD at all?

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai