• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I see what you're saying Black Dragon and it's good to have passion for the MA that you are studying. But have you studied anything outside TKD? I have, and I found that what I was learning in TKD was not very good for real situations. Maybe my teacher sucked, both of them. I don't know, I was young at the time. But before you get all bent out of shape, you should go study something different so that you can really evaluate what it is that you are studying.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to disagree, Black Dragon. 95 % of TKD schools won't train with elbows, knees, grappling, ground fighting, clinching, or for the most part even hand strikes. Also, I have yet to see a TKD school that teaches applications for their forms. MT and BJJ may be sports, but unlike TKD, they have proven their worth in NHB fights, which are as close to real fights as sports can get.

For the record I have trained in Goju Ryu, and Tang Soo Do, so I am making an informed judgement. (I'll ignore the implication). Also, somebody referring to 95% of TKD schools would have to have SEEN a great many of them!

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

Try a grappling art and get back to me.

It's just that I used to study TKD and Lima Lama which are very similar. After being very disillusioned by those arts, I went to study San Soo which is a Combat Art. Now I do Budo Taijutsu which is Combat Art as well which uses alot of grappling techniques. Many of the high kicks and snapping types kick used in TKD can be easily used against you. The reason you saw alot of karate based arts get destroyed by grapplers in UFC is that TKD and other Karate based arts don't teach you how to fight against anyone of any system of fighting. They teach how to fight against another TKD person. I know I studied TKD. It's great if your not concerned about real situations and love the sport. I can respect that. But the reason people bash TKD is that it is very limited to a specific arena of fighting. If I were going to train people to defend themselves on the street, I wouldn't teach them TKD. There are MA's better equipped for that purpose. TKD is an elegant and graceful looking art.

No, Black Dragon, it doesn't require me to see many. Why don't you ask how many TKD practitioners on this forum practice the above mentioned aspects of fighting? I've seen several schools and none of them have.

I'll agree with Black Dragon on this. My school teaches all of those aspects. Our instructors put a high emphasis on self defense training and pointing out the difference between competition sparring and street fighting. In addition to self defense we practice grappling, based on Brazilian Ju Jitsu and throws and joint locks from Judo.

In addition to learning the physical aspects of Tae Kwon Do, we must learn the history of our forms, a code of ethics and know them for testing.

I have faith in the Sabinum of my school as well as the head Instructor.

Nyteshades

Sounds like you have a good instructor NyteShades. Now in all honesty do you think that your teacher is the exception or that all TKD instructors are like yours?