• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

so what your pretty much saying is that WTF full contact olympic sparring sucks.. and that ITF is the supiror TKD style? im not flaming im just asking is that what your pretty much saying i think their both good and bad
ORANGE Belt(WTF) TaeKwonDo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on what u like better. when u r in for the sports and the competition wtf has hands/legs up, but its not a good self defense system. there is a thread regarding the differences somewhere...

olympic sparring is full contact its better then point sparing like freakin tag, that is what wouldnt work at all for a real fight , and i train everyday and fight for real street fights so i no what will work and wont i broke my finger yesterday fighting my friend
ORANGE Belt(WTF) TaeKwonDo

People bash TKD, because they THINK it's all sport. That might be all they see. But schools like mine, we learn so much more. People are suprised when they watch a class. We do throws, joint locks, ect. We even grapple! Not all TKD schools are sport. Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

Might I add Laurie that not all ITF schools are totally martial arts orientated ether.

….

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

I studied TKD and if you like competitions and being very limber, than this is the art for you. But don't be fooled, it's not a complete fighting system. I'm not bashing it, but you have to ask yourself why you study it. If you are studying it to be a great fighter, study something that will teach you to fight.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Well I can only speak from the experience I had. All I can say is if you study TKD and are happy with, that's great. If you have the chance to study another MA, I encourage you. It might give you a different perspective on the MA you are studying. By the way I have one hell of a spinning hook kick because of TKD and a wicked side kick. I just think as a fighting system it is limited. Hwa Rang Do on the other hand which is where Tae Kwon Do came from is fierce and very effective.

Read this: http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/6404/hist.html

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"