• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

'The Official "Shito-ryu" Topic'

mArTiAl_GiRl

Well, you can't change the belt colour. The more you post, the higher belt you gain. But just at a certain number of posts.

Yes, you have a good point, I agree. Because, if one person only practise karate and only one style all the time, this person won't 'feel' the differences between the katas or see any differences between different styles, this person won't have this (how to say it??) umm... this so called 'feeling'. I mean, it's the same like, you've read only one book and you know more less about things than others who have read many books. That kind of person won't know the 'feeling' how it is to practise another style or many different styles, he/she won't realize why or what might be so different between those all styles. It was like that when I begun karate and the first style I practised was Hayashi-ha Shito-ryu. And when I moved to Estonia, I had to start over again and I had no choice, so I took Wado-ryu and at first, I just didn't understand what is the difference. I made no difference when I did Pinan katas, I did Jodan Uke like Shito-ryu Age Uke. Now, when I've practised for three years, I finally understood and I have this 'feeling' when I do one Shito-ryu kata and one Wado-ryu kata. I feel that Shito-ryu is more quick and light, halfway to kung-fu and Wado-ryu is a bit harder, not so circular movements, no open handstrikes (except Seishan), and very simplified, for me it feels like it's not a soft style. I don't know how other people take it, but I feel so when I have to compare those two styles.

My brother does kung-fu, he practised Judo and Karate before and I've seen how he does Kung-fu katas a several times. Even I have practised with him a bit and I can feel the big difference between Karate and Kung-fu. Kung-fu is like... well, when you fight, it won't stop, the open handstrikes, punches and everything come after one punch, after one kick etc. But in Karate, we do ich, one punch, then ni, next movement and san, kiai! Totally different.

And I'm quite sure, I won't practise Karate forever, I have a desire to do other martial arts too, and I think it's right to do many different things, than just one thing. :)

Kill is love

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic