• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

'The Official "Shito-ryu" Topic'

mArTiAl_GiRl

i've noticed on some websites about shito-ryu that they've said: 'annanku is a complete version of annan. '

strange, but if they're so completely different then why some say it is a complete version, what the..?? :-? or maybe they haven't actually seen the both katas? now... I have to see those both katas! I'm gonna see how different or how similar they are....hmm...

I've read somewhere that both are Chinese in origin, but Anan is mainly used by Ryukyu Kobudo and Okinawan Kenpo, while Ananku is present in many other styles. This suggests that they are different. I am really not sure. I have seen ananku demonstrated before and tried it once or twice, but it isn't in my system so I don't know too much about it.

You sure change your avatar quite frequently...is that a mood thing?

I dont know, there are just so many avatars I like that I cant decide what I should have forever so I keep changing my avatar all the time, kinda fun. :P :D :roll:

Kill is love

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the efficiency of a style to have + or - 50 katas? :-? Edited by Bl4cKtH0rN

"Someday, I'll be the most powerfull jedi ever..."

the same efficiency that a style that has 5 katas for example. The fact the style has 50 katas doesn't mean you have to master it all... u can choos your 5 and master them...

And it can be good or bad.. depends on your point of view... you have much more ways to learn a lot more movements, because of all the bunkays and different things and moves...

but it's hard to learn them all...

karate's effiency is not on the number of katas the

style has... but on the number of things you can assimilate from it... it can be 1 or 100 katas, if you care more about quantity than quality,you won't learn a thing...

that's my point of view...

see ya

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

I have a question but I don't know if it fits the topic, but wut the heck hehehehehehe

when you guys are practicin kumite, do you change sides, left foot front, then change to right?

cause i'm left handed, and when I'm w/ my left foot in front, i almost never get hit... it's like my strong side... and when I change to the right side, i can hardly move... so i wanna know wut you guys do...

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

Valeu! Tem certeza, o número de katas não importa. Antigamente os grandes mentres nào conheciam muitos katas e nem os estilos tinham muitos.

"Someday, I'll be the most powerfull jedi ever..."

antigamente os mestres tinham uns 2 ou 3 favoritos e eles se empenhavam neles.. eles apenas aprendiam os katas q eles achavam q eram úteis para eles...

• 2 weeks later...

Annanku isn't Annan. Annanku is Shorin-ryu based (or otherwise, Shuri-te based) where as Annan has more direct Chinese influences and filters down to Ryuei-ryu and Shitoryu. I personaly know annan and have seen annanku and they have no concepts that relate to each other. Annan of course, has emphasis on palm heel strikes and lower leg side kicks, which makes me want to believe it's a kata more intended for women (like aoyagi). However, I'm not sure, and I'm quite glad that Takada (the guy that won the world championships, and him being a shito-kai shitoryu stylist) used that kata to win. :-)

Shiro

1st Dan

World Shito-ryu Karatedo Federation

Look at it like this...Kata's are books that can be interpreted on several levels. Different books/katas appeal and complement different type of people. Secondly, to understand and analyze each kata/book allows for a greater understanding of the art as well as the founder's intentions with the art. Focusing too much upon one aspect of an art or focusing too much upon creating what is seemingly "efficient" will create incredibly obvious weaknesses within your karate. Shito-ryu for example has two major concepts and many minor ones that appeal to different sizes, strengths and speeds. Kata of the itosu orgin favor brute and external strength, speed, distance, and timing as well as favorability of size. Kata's include Bassai and the Kosokun series. Kata of the Higionna orgin favor those who lack size, and thus using circular motions, in-close countering, intrinsic power to produce both an internal and external hardess while being precise and full of finesse all at the same time. Such kata include Sanshin, Supraimpei, Seienchin...etc. Understanding both of these concepts is crucial to being a proficient martial artist and not just a shito-ryu or karate stylist. In understanding and analyzing the concepts presented by 50-60 kata, the knowledge and know-how gained from such kata will allow the practitioner a greater advantage from his understanding in overcoming an opponent who may use concepts to his advantage that maybe portrayed in such katas, at least from a theoretical standpoint.

However, another point to be made here is how many of us practice kata and bunkai and apply it to kumite enough to fully understand the concepts and the messages that our kata founders had intended for us to learn???

Shiro

P.S. How do I change the belt color of my icon? It's bugging me...