• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

'The Official "Shito-ryu" Topic'

mArTiAl_GiRl

i do shukokai karate which was made from shito ryu but i dont really no what other styles look like so i cant compare ......yet.

I'd quote bruce lee but to me he's just another person who got lucky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kofukan International is an association practising Tani-ha Shito-ryu Karate-do which is based in Europe but has members worldwide. In April 1997 Kofukan International celebrated their 25th Anniversary with a World Championship and Open Training Courses supervised by Guest of Honour Master Chojiro Tani (1921-1998), 10th Dan Hanshi, founder of the Tani-ha Shito-ryu Shukokai organization of which Kofukan is a member.

Instruction

Joint World Chief Instructors for Kofukan International are Shihan Keiji Tomiyama, resident in England, and Shihan Naoki Omi, resident in France, who are both 7th Dan Tasshi. It is expected that each member country hold at least one seminar per year with Shihan Tomiyama, with the possibility of other visits if desired, unless exceptional circumstances do not permit it. It is possible for smaller countries to join together with neighbours to organize seminars. Around the world, these and other special courses aimed at students of all grades are regularly held by member countries. What is more, black belt members frequently have the opportunity to join organized tours of Japan for training and sightseeing.

Advancement

Kyu gradings are held at different intervals according to common practice in each individual country, ranging between 4 months and 6 months (a minimum of 6 months for 1st kyu to 1st Dan). The level of fees charged for kyu gradings is also set by each country's Secretariat, from which they can make funds for their organization. Many Dan gradings are conducted by each country's own senior grading officers, although others, especially higher Dan grades, are conducted by the Chief Instructors. The fees for Dan gradings are payable to Kofukan International, of which a portion goes to the Tani-ha Shito-ryu Shukokai, and are currently as follows :-

1st Dan - £110 including diploma and embroidered black belt

2nd Dan and above - £70 including diploma

Embroidered black belts, made in Japan, can be purchased separately for £40.

For groups joining Kofukan International, grades obtained with a previous association are honoured (however, a diploma for existing dan grades cannot be supplied by Kofukan International). New members can then upgrade when appropriate (minimum one year). NEXT 

Beck House Town Street

Westborough

Newark Notts. NG23 5HQ

England

Allright, I've seen many Shotokan and Isshinryu topics, but no Shito-ryu ones (maybe only one topic). So, I thought I'll post a Shito-ryu topic to discuss anything about this style.

I've got some questions for the shito-ryu practicioners here. Do you think in some sense, Shito-ryu is a bit like kung-fu? Does it remind you a bit of it? For example some open hand strikes or movements in katas? I've noticed it is a bit similar to kung-fu, even my Minakami Karate Dojo instructor in Sweden told me that. Do you agree with that?

Second question: What do they pay most attention to in this style? Is it power, quickness or something else (I think it is quickness, right)? I know pretty much about it myself too, but I still wonder, because I have to teach some disciples in my Club and I'm the only one in Estonia who is able to do that and it gets me kind of nervous sometimes :lol: , I have nobody to ask, so I thought I'll ask people on this forum. I need some advice and a bit more knowledge (even if I know this style enough), so let's discuss about Shito-ryu. I look forward to it. :karate: :nod:

Yeah, i think it resembles kung fu in some ways. It focuses on both quickness and power. Minakami Karate Dojo ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! Wohooo MKD Seattle.

i been practicing shito ryu for almost 8 - 9 months and only thing ive seen so far is that they have alot of katas i've never been to other styles of karate . only shotokan that seems similar . shito ryu uses more nekoashi dashi ( cat stance ) in there katas its there main stance . from what ive been taught .

Hmm, let's see...there are two styles of Shito-Ryu on Okinawa, one taught by Shiroma Shinpan and the other by Mabuni Kenwa. Incidentally, they were childhood friends.

I only knew about Kenwa Mabuni, I didn't know about Shiroma Shinpan. :o Well, thanks for telling me that! :)

Kill is love

Master Mabuni named his style as Hanko-ryu (half-hard style) which he later in 1930's changed to "Shito-ryu".

Shito-ryu lives together with Kobudo (weapon arts) and sometimes Iaido (sword arts). The Kihon, Kumite, Karate katas, Kobudo Katas, Iaido katas and the principles & messages behind them made the treasury of Shito-ryu so magnetic and demanding that Shito-ryu deserves a life-long dedication to practice and perfect.

Hanko-ryu? Hmm....sounds interesting, I didn't know about that either, now I know thanks to you. :)

Yes! And it is so cool lives together with Kobudo and Iaido, because I love sword arts! :karate:

Kill is love

all man shorin ryuu you hit it dead on the nail when i fought that guy i thought he was some kind of boxer because he never sat still :evil: and i threw a punch at him he did like this simple looking block and it shattered my hand. he always darted in and out just like the five prince. states. he's the reason i got into shotokan so i can defeat him :kaioken: . like out of the 20 times i fought i only won 8 and thats really bad :cry:. one time he defeated me when he was sick :bawling:

Umm...that sounds bad. But, I think, if you want to practise Shito-ryu, if you actually like that style, I think you should practise it, becuase defeating someone isn't that important, right? :)

You would be a good Shito-ryu fighter, so I think you can go to another Shito-ryu club, you don't have to practise in that Club where this stupid guy is.

Kill is love

Hi... I'm a shito-ryu karateka too...

I guess from the all Big Fours shito and shorin ryu are the fastest styles... And I think that Shito-Ryu karatekas have an advantage cause we train as fast as Shoto or shorin but we still practice the Goju katas, so that's why I think shito ryu is one of the most complete styles... might not be the most beautifull one to watch dependin on the kata... cause let's face it... some shoto katas are awesome! At least I like to watch them hehehehehehe

Shito-Ryu also has a singularity, the MOTO-DACHI, wich I kinda suspect is what the other styles call KUMITE STANCE...

And Some shito-ryu katas makes me feel like I'm doing Kung fu hehehehe like Nipaipo or Chatanyara Kushanku! those katas are awesome! And wut do you mean with open hand strikes? YOu mean the shuto-uke? or the mawashi uke?

I dunno.. I just can't understand why shito-ryu is so underestimated by other styles... I mean, I don't think that shito-ryu has the recognition that it deserves.. I mean... for example You can find ALL goju katas, Wado Kata ( even some Yakusoku Kumite videos), Shotokan Katas, SHorin Katas, But you can't find ANY shito-ryu kata videos to download on the net!

And that sucks cause I can't afford to buy those video tapes that are in american dollars! they're too expensive!

But that don't bother me so much now heheheh my sensei is teaching me all katas now hehehehehe

Well, Got to tell ya.. a few months ago I posted a few topics about shito-ryu and there were so few people that practiced it here... and I know it seems like the our "shito group" is gettin bigger... and that makes me kinda happy ehhehehehee

Osu!

Yea! I agree with you about Shito-ryu. Moto-dachi... yes I remember when I used to practise Kumite at MKD in Sweden, we did Kumite on one line. I mean, shito-ryu karateka's never jump around and move really freely, they're more like with one stance, on one line, back and forth, like in Traditional Japanese Kumite.

Yeah, I also feel like doing Kung-fu katas when I do Shito-ryu katas. And Chatanyara Kushanku..... :o god that kata is awesome! I've got to learn it now! :lol: I love the beginning of the Kata. And the first to blocks or strikes you do in the beginning of the kata are open handed and that's what I mean with 'open hand strike'. I don't really know how to describe what I mean exactly, but yeah, it is like Shuto Uke and Mawashi Uke. Do you know that Kata: Rohai? Well, you know in that kata, after you do this crane stance, (open hand, or palm hand strike, something like that), you do a Junzuki Dachi and then you turn your hand, and the hand is open. And you perform it slowly. That's what I mean. And that is what reminds me of some kind of Kung-fu or Wing-Chun.

Yes I know, it's too bad, first when I started to look for some Shito-ryu kata video tapes in internet, I didn't find any! But now, after a big search, I've found some places actually. Would you like me to tell the links to those sites? I'll gladly tell you, cuz I know how hard it is to find ANY shito-ryu stuff here.

Oh yeah, our "shito-ryu group", that sounds good! :D That's also why I posted this topic, because I want to see some shito-ryu karatekas too, not only other styles. :)

Kill is love