• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Correct Biomechanics for punching

Neil

When I went down to the boxing club and told them I do karate they laughed out right. My teacher said they would. Boxers see karate people as punching with the arm, but this is true when looking at the majority of the karate out there. Its incredibly pathetic that people don't even know simple body mechanics and this is one of the reasons so many of todays Martial Artists and getting injured.

One very big misconception when it comes to punching is people thinking you punch from the hips. You use the waist when punching.

Basically all the power from a punch or kick comes from below the knees as 'The Cat' always used to go on about karate happening below the knees. The more you push your legs into the ground the more power you will acheive. It all works on the very very basic principle of ying/yang. When you push into the ground by bending the knees, you get an equal force back. You do not punch with the legs, you simply get your power from them. You punch with the waist, which turns the entire upper body, with the legs already being locked into the ground and staying anchored as the waist moves moving the entire upper body in the same direction-forwards, then the fist catches up, like a catapult.

I just wanted to make this post as I can't be bothered to go and argue on another post where people have to go through about 3 pages to see everyones view.

When it comes to kicking you are punching with the largest muscle in the body, the bottom, or the gluetus maximus for a more scientific word. power comes from bending the stabalizing leg, and also helps with balance and stabalization. Side kick uses a lot of abdomen in the execution of it as well.

I just wrote this in a rush so there is probobly a load of stuff I missed out so if anyone knows anything about biomechanics they can add.

Neil

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt