• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Disrespectful Aikidoka

KaratekaAikidoist

We recently had a new person join my aikido class. He's been involved for about 2 tests and likes to "ruin" my aikido techniques by rolling out of them or reversing them. I figured it may have been just because he's new, but I always thought practice was for practice, not a time to show off and see if you can embarrass people. He also pulls sneak attacks on me and never fails to tell me if I have bad form on a technique. I also regarded this as his new expierience in MA. I later learned that he was in another style beforehand, not very far alone, but nonetheless........... Is this behavior considered ok? I can take criticsicm but not the way he shows it. I don't want to learn the "right way" to do a technique from someone who hardly knows it himself.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk to him if this remains a problem, but do bring up the fact that while you do want to learn these techniques correctly, it is best for the opponent to offer some resistance but not complete resistance until you get the techniques down. Otherwise, you won't build the foundation in those techniques. Once you are more comfortable with those techniques, you can tell him to step it up. But needless resistance is very poor form when doing partner exercises and is not conducive to proper learning. If it remains a problem, talk to a sempai about it and he/she should correct the problem.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

...or you could be the bigger person and follow shorin ryuus advice... you know, whatever.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

There are some people in the world who are born trouble makers. If talking doesn't work make him stop training there or stop training there yourself. If your not having fun then change.

If this guy is as thick as KaratekaAikidoist said, I dobut he will listen to anything he has to say. For Egomanics like that, a good beating will open his ears and his mind to new ideas pretty fast. Either that or is will run like a little . Either way, he shouldn't bother you any more.

I suppose you could do the technique with more force, instead of being in gentle, practice mode (enough to get the tap right away but not break anything). Bury him into the mats, drop your knees on him (if allowed) and then immediately move into whatever arm bar, wrist lock, etc you're using.

For clarity, I'm envisioning a situation where you've thrown him onto his side and keep control of one arm - I wasn't sure what techniques you were doing.

For the record, once you've learned how to roll out of moves, there is a real tendency to do that - I do that a lot myself - even to my Sensei. I'm not trying to be difficult, it just happens sometimes - especially when I'm all wound up :oops: If I do it to Sensei, sometimes he just laughs, other times he's actually grappled with me, and still others we've done the move again and he takes me down faster and puts a lock on me right away.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

What is your sensei's attitude towards this guy? It maybe worth having a word with him. Tell him you do not like to partner with egoboy. Sensei may insure that you no longer do. Worth a try, if a student of mine expressed such concerns I would feel that it was my duty to keep you happy.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"