• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Combative or not combative?

Icetuete I don't know how far Frankfurt is from you, but there's a Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu Dojo there. Check on the internet for locations in Germany. If you are serious about learning MA's and you think this is something you will do your whole life I highly recommend Budo Taijutsu. :D

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, there r dojos that train this style here in germany, but they r all too far away. frankfurt would be a 5 hour drive at best, and for 2 or 3 classes a week it would make 10 to 15 or even more hours of driving. even if i had the time, i couldnt afford the gas needed.

i found out about a dojo in Bonn which is "only" about one hour from here. i thought about going to university there. if u had information about any other Budo Taijutsu dojos... i would appreciate it :)

Good strong fighters still come out of the McDojos, but the average is very low. I always say that most TKD schools teach innefective fighting, but that is why I cross train, but I still can't seem to give up the TKD. The environment is healthy, I love to see children get involved, the workouts are good, and the sparring classes help my cardio with my BJJ, oh...my flexibility has improved from it as well. But I push myself more than anyone else in my classes, I am there for a reason and am focused, as with everything else. I feel you get what you put into things, if you train and try hard, you will get the results.

I once heard someone say that you don't even start learning till you get your blackbelt.

BJJ - Blue Belt

TaeKwonDo - Brown Belt

Krav Maga

Kickboxing

• 1 month later...

This is a response that I posted on another forum regarding "reality" or "combative" martial arts compared to non-combative martial arts-

This is a mind-boggling question. What exactly is "reality" training as opposed to "traditional" training? To those of us who have been on both sides of the fence we understand the difference but to others, the difference is hard to grasp.

Maybe it would be easier to state what "reality" training isn't as opposed to what it is. So let's start there. (Note: This is my personal opinion only)

"Reality" training isn't:

Learning foreign languages

Wearing traditional uniforms

Bowing to flags

Learning foreign philosophy

Bowing to "masters"

Learning religions

Bowing to pictures of "masters"

Learning foreign cultures

Learning traditional and/or impractical weapons

Practicing esoteric and/or new age concepts

Learning tradition for tradition's sake

Practicing impractical or dangerous tactics

Now with the above clearly stated and before there are any misunderstandings, let me emphasize that there is nothing wrong with those things in proper context of a complete life-long martial arts curriculum. I mean no disrespect to those who practice these things. However, the fact remains that those things have little to do with life-or-death altercations. The knowledge of or the lack of knowledge of the above list will have no effect on your ability to survive should you someday find yourself in a bad situation. In that instance the only thing that matters is the mind-set and the physical skills needed to survive, everything else is moot.

Steve

Personal Safety Unlimited

http://www.geocities.com/combatives

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with most of what you said @ szorn

an intensive fight training does not need any of these. but that does not mean that an art is not as good as another art because u wear a traditional uniform etc. i think arts that imply many of the things u meantioned still produce good fighters.

• 2 weeks later...
Well he has a good point, trying doing most TKD kicks in a tailored 3 piece suit. I agree with something Hatsumi Sensei said, "Train how you live." I you wear jeans and a t-shirt, train in them once in a while.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"