• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Combative or not combative?

Icetuete what are you studying? That symbol you have looks like TKD or Karate.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i'm not really in a position to do anything.

i am in no way experienced enough.

just me having a rant i guess...

maybe one day.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

actually i dont study anything (yet :) ), but i liked that pic and took it as an avatar anyways.

what i plan to study TKD. its hard to find dojos in my area so i had to wait till i get my drivers license. i plan to join in september.

just out of curiosity, why tkd?

and was also wondering if anyone could tell me the differences between the itf and wtf?

has anyone taken classes in both? is it really that different?

feeling a bit inquizitive today...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

just out of curiosity, why tkd?

why not? :) some of the reasons are:

1. i am completely unexpirienced when it comes to martial arts. i am interested in them, but i didnt have the chance to learn one except for some judo training when i was 6 or something, i quit after my yellow belt test and that appearently is close to nothing. i regard tkd as a good point to start and i dont know yet whether i shall switch or not.

2. it is a good workout and i plan to get into a better shape.

3. the looks are cool and it makes u very flexible.

4. there are many belts in tkd so i have shortterm goals, which is important t me as a beginner (i guess).

5. the dojos in my area are very limited and its was hard for me to even find the one i am now going to join. i had the choice between about four styles, this dojo offers (the few others around rely on a schools gym while that one has its own building). it is judo, Shaolin Kung Fu, TKD and Wushu. since i am not that interested in grappling for whatever reason, Wushu is looks only and there is only one instructor at Kung Fu (i thought about either KF or TKD) while there are three instructors at TKD it was a rather easy choice. which brings us (and more or less already brought us) to number

6. the instructors. i visited a beginners class and they made a very good impression. i didnt see their best moves or something, but i liked their methods. i talked to two of them and they were very friendly and more than willing to answer my questions and even told me about another dojo in town, that i could visit in case their styles would appeal to me better. we had a 20 minute talk and i was impressed. they had everything i looked for in an instructor. many belts in many different styles, knowledge, i saw pictures of them doing moves, and they are friendly, but u have great respect.

7. in no.6. i mentioned the beginners class! no dojo around has a real beginners class where all of the instructors intensivly train with the newbies for some months.

8. the tkdists won several prices :karate:

9. i like the look of the white dobok :)

10. i regard tkd as a very good style in many ways. not only the workout and the flexibilty, but also the self defense, break tests, kata...

err - yes; these are the main reasons why i chose tkd i think :)

• 5 weeks later...

I think whether an art is "combative" or not depends on how it's taught to you. If combat is the focus and it's tried and true, it'll be combative. If combat isn't the focus, it won't be... the art is kind of irrelevant beyond the likelihood of finding the right teacher within a specific one.

a lot of people complain about mcdojos but why doesn't anyone do something about it?

What have you done about it? Not to sound accusatory... I'm just wondering what you had in mind, and where you've started with it on your own. I'm not sure I'd have the energy to attempt to change that many people's minds about something. If they don't feel like doing any research before devoting themselves to that sort of study, well, in the end they're the ones who lose out most.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

• 2 weeks later...
The best thing is to find a good teacher. Combative MA's depends on whether you have a good teacher teaching a Combat MA. The Art is not irrelevant, because a good student might see beneath the surface.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

If I could I'd tell you to do something othere than TKD I would.

I don't like to put down another art but...

I have sparred alot of TKDers, and fought a few to when it could not be helped. From what i'v noticed there are holes in the

style or training.

Hands tech are week.

Balence is poor (not rooted at all)

Kicks seem to lack real power.

In fact the hole style seems to lack real power..

I don't know meaby in Korea there are people that practice a more effective way of TKD than I'v seen here( i hope so).

I have seen TKDs get eaten alive by street fighters and Martial Artest alike. ell i'v munched my share to.lol

I'll give you the benifite of the dout and say there are probly good teachers some where and I'v just never run into anyone that traind with them. I speak from experience . and TKDers Don't bother to flame me i'll

just laught.

" You punch like a pig and kick like a dog "

"You punch like a pig and kick like a dog"

thanks, but i think i'll give it a shot anyways. i am not sure yet whether i will stick to tkd since i will be off to university in 1 or 2 years anyway. other styles i am interested in like Budo Taijutsu, Mantis Kung Fu and such arent available at my place. was difficult enough to find something that suits me well.