• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Combative or not combative?

some stupid question: which styles are regarded as being "combative" and which are not? and why are they more combative than others, because in my opinion, every "martial" art is combative to a certain extend.

please forgive me for this stupidness and answer without insults for my questions :wink: :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid question?

I agree with you that all martial arts are "combative", apart from the Mcdojos. lol

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

so they focus on what? meditation, philosophy and physical fitness? thats a point. but i think these are what make they art more effective in combat. the understanding and the ability are essential to make an art combative. or do u talk about other emphasises?

so they focus on what? meditation, philosophy and physical fitness? thats a point. but i think these are what make they art more effective in combat. the understanding and the ability are essential to make an art combative. or do u talk about other emphasises?

I agree that there are different paths to effectiveness in combat, however from the perspective of many there are arts that are naturally "combative" and some that aren't. For example, Krav Maga is a good example of a "combative" art, specifically because it was designed for modern security and self-defence forces. Whereas something like Tai Chi isn't what most people think of when the phrase "Combative Martial Arts" comes up.

With that being said, though, I'm aware that Tai Chi has several aspects that lead it to combat. It's all a scale based on degrees of usefulness for combat and, generally speaking, is completely subjective.

So you think that studying Yoga will make you an accomplished fighter?

It's not just an art issue; but also a school issue; and as simple a statement as "combative or not" doesn't really give you a great deal of information.

Boxing, Judo, Muay Thai, and BJJ are all sport arts; but also make excellent fighters.

Akido, Karate (say Shotokan), and Taiji are combative arts; but because of circumstances such as how they are taught, the nature of their decisions, and /or the general practitioner of these arts; you are unlikey to find particularly good fighters coming out of such schools.