• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shotokan vs. kyokushin vs. american kenpo

aznkarateboi

which one do you think would fare best in a NHB fight?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. which one do you think would fare best in a NHB fight?

• shotokan karate
    • kyokushin karate
    • american kenpo

Kyokushinkai is better than any American Kenpo system IMHO. I was just stating that I've seen successful Kenpo guys in the UFC and no Kyokushin or Shotokan guys. Shotokan would be effective for real fighting if it was done "Karate Jutsu" style. You know before "Karate-Do Kyohan" or "Kid's Karate 101". I would pick Shotokan over Kenpo American style anyday.

I think Oyama understood this so he integarted what he thought were necessary principles from other styles. Kyokushin is my choice for the best all-around of the 3 mentioned. For Japanese Karate forget Wado, Shito, Goju or Shotokan and go with Kyokushin or an off-shoot like Ashihara.

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes ashihara is sometimes known has "fighting karate" and includes a bit a grappling has well. But in saying that, unless the practicioner knows how to use it then its useless.

i'm telling shidokan is better i mean you spar like the first lesson now if that isn't a true art, if i'm correct in kyokushin when you start sparring is when you have some color to your belt.

falcon kick!!!

there is also one particular style of kempo called

Byakuren Kaikan Karate Kempo

which does Knockdown fighting for its sport

and also has softer "aikido-ish " side as well.

its all good

:-)

I have a black belt in Kenpo and I don't have an answer to this question. All three are excellent combat styles and it would depend on the individual entirely. It's just another slant on the style versus style debate which has never had an answer anyway...people choose styles like they choose mates, either to complement their strengths or address their weaknesses. If there really was a magic, invincible "style" that made all others obsolete we would all know about it already.