• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The sine wave was introduced into TKD by Choi Hong Hi. I think the movement was present in karate before, but I'm not sure of this. The sine wave movement is the only thing that separates WTF and ITF if forms are concerned.

Hope this helps...

I believe sine wave motion was introduced in the 1980s and borrowed/swiped/stolen from (of all places) Tai Chi (sp?)

BTW ITF and WTF use totally different forms/tuls

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

A large amount of emphasis has been placed on sinewave over the last 10-15years. This has been done by the 'official' International Taekwondo Federation to distance itself from the rest of the ITF community. It's just more politics to drive taekwondo apart. Taekwondo is a fairly knew martial art (1955) but has it's roots in many other styles. In striving to be recognised as a martial art in it's own right TKD is evolving to be different. I think it's a shame the way TKD is becoming so distanced from arts such as shotokan which i think is so much more powerful without using sinewave. I agree with dropping into techniques but don't think a sinewave correctly discribes the motion. I'd like to watch someone break a brick with the sinewave technique! I do think if done well or 'correctly' it looks good in forms. But 90% of people who do it just look sloppy. Bretty :) 10 years 'unofficial' ITF :wink: Edited by Bretty101

maybe im just stupid but i have no clue what the sinewave is so if anyone would send me a link to a site or even xplain it themselves that would be great thanks

14,purple belt,TKD

talk to me i'm fun

Well to give you some idea...

It's a way of doing forms. basically you raise up and drop down into every technique using a combination of knee spring and long stances. your centre of gravity (hips) therefore move up and down in an osscilitary motion hence sinewave.

The 'theory' is harnessing the power of the hips into the technique which i agree with in a way but i'm not sure bouncing up and down really does that.

There is also a theory that each technique should start off slow and accelerate using the theory that force is a result of acceleration (F=ma). However this is nonsense because acceleration is actually the result of a force not the other way round.

It's an interesting display of coordination which is required for power, but i can't say i agree with the way you go about it.

Hows that? I believe you can see people doing the sinewave patterns (rather well i must say) on the official ITF website.

Bretty

If you have a look at this thread, there's a discussion on how to bounce:

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=8052

I wrote this reply about sine wave:

If you look at the hyung as performed by the Taekwondo stylists on the Legacy CDROM set (they were chosen by Gen. Choi to perform the hyung) you will see that the sine wave motion is very slight indeed and I would probably consider that the students he chose were performing the patterns as he intended. Compared side by side to the sine wave motion performed by the ITU (http://www.taekwondo.to/patterns.htm) you will see that they do giant sine waves!

I personally use a small sine wave in order to drop my (considerable) body weight at the point of impact, once the foot hits the ground. Along with the hip twist and small striking area, you can get a fair amount of power...

• 6 months later...
One of my students who is formerly ITF asked me why we don't do the sinewave. I told him because moving from point A to point B in a straight line is the most efficient way. To me, moving your body up and down is a waste of energy and puts your balance at risk. We always did basics and forms moving straight horizontally, relaxing during the step and focusing your whole body during the actual technique.

My opinion-Welcome to it.

Well we do the chang hon forms the old way at my school no bounce, however, I think what they are thinking of is like in the case of a Low Block. If you start high and sink your whole body weight into it it will be more effective than simply using your arm. Its kind of like doing an uppercut by just twisting your hips, the wrong way, or by bending your legs and putting some body weight behind it, the right way. You create an upward wave which increases the amount of impact. Bretty is right also about the equation. In physics that works however when you are talking about hitting someone the equation should read F/m=a. Or the amount of force you use to move your arm(m) equals how fast it travels(a). Which in turn increases the impact.

Long Live the Fighters!

Dear All,

Mass x Acceleration = Force!

Realistically, in order to increase you striking power you must either increase your speed or mass!

However, mass is like brain power you generally only utilize a percentage of a whole. By utilizing sinewave (lowering your mass at impact) you can utilize your mass more efficiently!

TAEKWON!

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!