• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Amazing Feats

Be careful when you say something is impossible; you may end up looking foolish after a while. Back in the late 1800s, people thought it would be impossible to break the 12 minute mile. Now we're talking about if it's possible to break the 3 minute mile. It's really amazing when you think about it. Makes me wonder on what kind of level athletes will perform on 100 years from now.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm, in 1800's, the "golden mile" was 4 minutes, not 12 minutes. It took a while to break - first person to break it was Roger Bannister in 1954.

We haven't got THAT much better, even though people are using doping so much as they do now.

However, one minute improvement is still a huge one.

If medicine will improve as much as it has improved since 1800's, after 100 years some athletes may actually explode when they've been pumped to their limits. :D

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Be careful when you say something is impossible; you may end up looking foolish after a while. Back in the late 1800s, people thought it would be impossible to break the 12 minute mile. Now we're talking about if it's possible to break the 3 minute mile. It's really amazing when you think about it. Makes me wonder on what kind of level athletes will perform on 100 years from now.

Twelve minutes mile? I walk faster.

But If you watch the improvement in the olympic games. The first year you could have won with a time around 12 sec. Some years later you could have won with 11 sec. Now you need around 9.90! That´s a huge improvement. But back then you weren´t actually training. The naturally fast guys were sent to the Olympic games, and when they came home they just continued on with their normal lives.

Shukokai Karate, Orange belt ( 7. kyu)

Twelve minute miles being Olympic calibre? No way! People in the 1800s would be in better shape than that simply by leading lives of manual labor, like farming. When we ran the mile in PE for our fitness tests, there were people who were not into sports who could run it faster than that. They were able to run it often because they did not lead sedentary lives.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

• 2 weeks later...
Its an amazing feat that, nobody requires sano to wear a football helmet at all times.

In my past life I slayed hundreds

and the life before that

they played trumpets to warn you that I was coming.