• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Back to sansoouser's original question, Gigoro Kano did not create Judo as a sport. In The Meiji Period in Japanese history the old feudal system of govenrment colapsed in Japan. An imperial form of government was now in existence. The wearing of swords was now forbidden. Ju Jutsu was now disappearing from Japanese society. Prof. Kano realizing the value of martial arts for not only defensive purposes, but also for exercise created Judo. If you read Kodokan Judo, there is a whole section of self defense. I recomnend watching the movie Sanshiro Sugata. You can buy it on Amazon.com.

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
ive studyed both Judo and Shotokan Karate for 5 years now, Judo is fine as a sport but is virtually useless on the street or against striking arts, because Judo has too many rules and on the street there are no rules. Judo is also ineffective agaisnt a striking art because i could hit sombody in the face much faster than i could grab sombody. Ju Jitsu is probably a more effective style for street use.

Shotokan Karate - brown belt 2nd kyu

Judo - Yellow belt

Jujustu - recently started, white belt

Broomhilda000,

Why did it take 4yrs to learn how to count to ten in Japanese?With the greatest of respect, are you impaired mentally in some way or do you have some kind of speach disabilty if thats the case I admire you for perservering.I ask this question in all honesty and with respect, sometimes people forget that physically and mentally impared people take part in the martial arts aswell.

OSU.

Never give in

To compete you have to know Japanese all the scoring is in Japanese, how did you get by?

In his defense, you don't have to understand the scoring to compete. All you have to do is get in there and wreck shop. Let the judges worry about the scoring - you just do your thing.

ive studyed both Judo and Shotokan Karate for 5 years now, Judo is fine as a sport but is virtually useless on the street or against striking arts, because Judo has too many rules and on the street there are no rules. Judo is also ineffective agaisnt a striking art because i could hit sombody in the face much faster than i could grab sombody. Ju Jitsu is probably a more effective style for street use.

If you believe that, then you really don't understand how to use judo...

No joke. Judo doesn't have rule, Judo matches have rules! Judo is a sport, anyone who reads the Kodokan knows that, but do you think a Judoka is going follow the rule when he getting into trouble on the street?

If you believe that, then you really don't understand how to use judo...

I second that.