• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Style principles

I would like to begin by saying that this is NOT A P1SSING CONTEST

Many posts I have read describe how their style is the best. The retorts almost always follow along the lines of "how can you say that when you don't know all styles ... "

It is difficult and time consuming to find information about karate systems on the internet, and especially time consuming in a library. I think that it would be cool if we could post just some general, factual (read: not opinionated) information about the style(s) you study.

This is not a place to braugh or boast about your style. Just let us know of the principles of your style, and what makes it unique. Perhaps it would also be interesting to see what kata you study.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I practice Seito Matsumura Shorin Ryu (We usually refer to it as just 'Seito'). Seito is a style with a relatively short lineage, being handed down from Sokon (Bushi) Matsumura -> Nabe Matsumura -> Hohan Soken. Hohan Soken had many notable students, however two of his students stand out in my mind. Fusei Kise, 10th dan Matsumura Seito http://www.kenshin-kan.com/, is the current head of the style. Yuichi Kuda was another of Hohan Soken's students. Yuichi Kuda was my instructor's instructor (http://www.bushido.net) in Seito.

Our stances are high and narrow. Our kicks are low. Shuto blocks are important. The concept of body change and angles is paramount. We fuss over our stances, we want them perfect. Power is important, but I think we focus on speed and technique more.

Kata we practice, in no particular order:

Pinan

Nihanchi

Passai

Rohai

Seisan

Gojushiho

Chinto

Kakuho

Hopporen

Tensho

Nisedi

Ryushoken

Our stances are high and narrow. Our kicks are low. Shuto blocks are important. The concept of body change and angles is paramount. We fuss over our stances, we want them perfect. Power is important, but I think we focus on speed and technique more.

Shotokan is low, but not too wide. Kicks reach all ranges from gedan to jodan. Hard blocks are important. Angles are important in the higher grades. Stances are paramount for building a good foundation. Speed and power are paramount.

"Shotokan is recognizable by its linear, direct punching, blocking, and kicking from low stances. Shotokan emphasizes correct posture, correct joint alignment, and formality of basic technique above all else. The Shotokan expert is expected to perform using strictly defined basic techniques even under harsh conditions. Creativity and free-lancing are not rewarded in Shotokan. Basic techniques are defined to the last detail, and performing them properly is given the highest priority." https://www.24fightingchickens.com/101/03_shotokan.html

I take Kobayashi Shorin Ryu.

Our principles are:

Natural stances

Soft and Hard movements (I used to think it was a hard style till I got more advanced)

Lower kicks

Body Change

Pressure points

Technique and Tactics

These principles are probably very similar to Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu since our styles are closely related.

Our kata (in order and not including our 5 kihon kata and 3 fukyuugata)

Naihanchi Shodan

Naihanchi Nidan

Naihanchi Sandan

Pinan Shodan

Pinan Nidan

Pinan Sandan

Pinan Yondan

Pinan Godan

Passai Sho

Passai Dai

Chinto

Kusanku Sho

Gorin

Kusanku Dai

Gojushiho

I had the opportunity to attend a weekend seminar last month with Grandmaster Kise and Kyoshi Ader and...Kyoshi someoneelseiforget...It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it immensely.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

shotokan= power

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Isshinryu is my Karate style. We focus on close combat, mainly for self defense. We use mostly snapping kicks and strikes, and, of course, the classic Vertical fist. We also do mostly low kicks.

Dojo Kun:

1. Strive For Perfection Of Charater.

2. Foster The Spirit Of Effort.

3. Honour The Principles Of Ettiquete.

Principles:

1. Take Control Of Your Mind And Body.

Kyokushin in its most basic form means the search for the ultimate truth.

The ultimate truth or truths can only be found from within, from inside yourself.So then we have to unlock from within us the answers to what we all want so much,happiness ,success,love,peace.In Kyokushin we believe only through the hardness of training can we find out who we are thus starting the road to self descovery and only through blood and sweat will we discover our true potential and the truth.

So in Kyokushin the spirit of perseverance or Osu no Seishin is of upmost importance.Through genuine hardship in training Kyokushin should teach you to face the demands of daily life with a mature and enduring attitude.

My teacher Hanshi Arneil has always taught us that a true budo-ka is not easily shaken by the hard blows dealt out in life,realizing that for a person to get near to their true potential,a never-say-die spirit of perseverance is required.Never give in!

OSU.

Never give in