• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

mixing shotokan with kyokushin

Shotokan_Fighter

thanks for your guyses help

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although some people may call you narrow minded etc. I think its good the way you show dedication to shotokan. Dedication is something that most people lack these days. Continue to train hard, but remember, every style has something to offer.

I have a couple of thoughts on this.

You only get one go at life, so as far as possible in the time you have you should try to experiance what ever it is you would like to experiance.It sounds to me the person who started this thread would like to experiance Kyokushin and so I think he should.Having said that i think its important if your going to train in two styles at the same time permanently you should first reach at least 1st or 2nd dan in your first chosen style otherwise you are running the risk of making things to hard for yourself.If on the other hand you are going to just simply try out another style for a few lessons just to get a feel of the differences then I beleive its fine to do that so long as you ask the instructor first so he is aware of your ultimate goals.

At my club on numerus occasions people from other styles have asked my instructor if they can train.When they do he always asks that we treat him with respect and he always reminds us that although he may be from a different style we are never that different and we can all learn from each other.

In the early years of Sosai Oyamas life he tryed lots of arts before he dedicated his life in one true direction.As did Hanshi Arneil,infact Oyama pushed Hanshi into trying different styles and arts that were in Japan at the time before allowing him to train so Hanshi really new what he wanted.

Once you have decided the work really starts.

Osu.

Never give in

I have a 1924 tape which anyone can buy in Century of Gichin Funakoshi teaching everything from basics to kata to sparring in a VERY high stance almost TKDish high.

That's the heart of the problem! On Okinawa, stances were always high for practical reasons. Nobody taught low stances as they are unusable in fighting. Gichin Funakoshi taught exactly like that too and called his style Shotokan. So why do people in Shotokan now train the low stances? Because people after Gichin passed the torch, modified it so! Some people might even say it ain't Shoto's Kan anymore...

Yeah, this is what he had to say, even before he died...

"Accordingly, even fewer realize that karate in Tokyo today is almost completely different in form from what was earlier practiced in Okinawa.

A few years ago I took my students to the Butoku-den in Kyoto to participate in a dedicatory martial arts demonstration...when it came time for their demonstrations, I was even more surprised for their so-called karate was unlike karate. Deeply embarrassed, I felt I should apologize to the other observers. It was the karate that I, who have devoted many years in the art, could not recognize as such."

~Gichin Funakoshi 1943 In Karate-Do, Way of My Life

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/