• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

mixing shotokan with kyokushin

Shotokan_Fighter

We mix some of the body conditioning used in kyokushin into our shotokan but we still are 100% shotokan. When we spar we are more up right like kyokushin.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We mix some of the body conditioning used in kyokushin into our shotokan but we still are 100% shotokan. When we spar we are more up right like kyokushin.

I hate when I read this stuff about shotokan being so low. Yeah we work the low stance and yes its our trademark but we don't spar in it. I have a 1924 tape which anyone can buy in Century of Gichin Funakoshi teaching everything from basics to kata to sparring in a VERY high stance almost TKDish high. I really don't know where this misconception comes from except for we train low for power, speed, and balance.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

if we fought in our low stances we would get demolished by any fighter, we train in low stance so we get leg strength, but the only time we do is it we drop into them while we spar, like areverse puch we would start on higher stance then drop into a lower stance so we have the power and a solid form.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

I have a 1924 tape which anyone can buy in Century of Gichin Funakoshi teaching everything from basics to kata to sparring in a VERY high stance almost TKDish high.

That's the heart of the problem! On Okinawa, stances were always high for practical reasons. Nobody taught low stances as they are unusable in fighting. Gichin Funakoshi taught exactly like that too and called his style Shotokan. So why do people in Shotokan now train the low stances? Because people after Gichin passed the torch, modified it so! Some people might even say it ain't Shoto's Kan anymore...

I hate when I read this stuff about shotokan being so low. Yeah we work the low stance and yes its our trademark but we don't spar in it. I have a 1924 tape which anyone can buy in Century of Gichin Funakoshi teaching everything from basics to kata to sparring in a VERY high stance almost TKDish high. I really don't know where this misconception comes from except for we train low for power, speed, and balance.

Don't forget precept 19, ""Beginners must master low stance and posture, natural body positions are for the advanced." The shotokan we see today is the work of JKA and the SKI not Funakoshi. It's based on Funakoshi's karate but taken a bit futher.

Well, remember that Kyokushin is a mix of Shotokan and Goju-ryu. Many of our katas are directly from Shotokan (Mas Oyama trained with Funokoshi). So many things will be the same. If you really like Shotokan I'd just stick with it. Although it cannot hurt to try another style just to be opened up to different ways of performing certain techniques, and also other styles of fighting (I used to think Kyokushin was the ONLY style for me until I was forced to find a new place to train, learned a lot from my new style). Wait till you get to black belt. Then visit a Kyokushin dojo, and after that decide where you really want to go with your training.

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

im not going to, i might go see a kyokushin school someday if i ever find one, there arnt any around my town so i am satying with shotokan as i have said before, shotokan will prepare me for all i need and it has done that.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate