• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

mixing shotokan with kyokushin

Shotokan_Fighter

ok i was thinking about when i get my black belt i might try to find a kyokushin karate school, do you guys think that that would be a good idea?? i dont really want to mix but yet i do want to mix these 2 styles. what do you guys think?

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shotokan tends to mix well with most arts because its balance. They only prob. I would have with mixing 2 differant forms of karate is the differance in kata. I don't know that their is one but I have seen a dozen versions of Bassai Dai in differant styles and learning the Shotokan kata alone is hard enough much less getting them mixed up with others.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Do one or the other!! What is it about Kyokushin that appeals to you? Are the things that appeal to you in Shotokan to be found in Kyokushin as well? You will probably find that despite kata differences and full contact that there is little difference between the two.

The one thing I regret about changing from Shotokan is that I did not achieve my 1st dan, ideally I would have liked to have reached 3rd dan before changing. Although if I had waited that long I would have missed a fair few years out of my Goju training and I would probably regret not starting Goju sooner.

So in saying that, I would suggest finding a Kyokushin dojo and giving it a go, you don't know what you're missing :karate:

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

It depends on how they teach at your school. If you choose Kyokushin, they'll concentrate much more on sparring and bag-work. If your Shotokan school teaches lots of Kata, applications, stand up grappling, and self defense, then Kyokushin would definently balance it out.

yeah but im just gonna stick with shotokan and master it like i have said before, i am one sided and im gonna keep it that way, out shotokan school does full contact once in a great while so i dont see much of a difference from kyokushin karate, compared to shotokan karate.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate