• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokans speed

Shotokan_Fighter

me as a shotokan fighter, im not slow and shotokan karate isnt slow, maybe some ppl who are in shotokan karate are slower, but im not and most ppl that im around in my class are not either. i know the art isint slow. shotokan is the power house of karate, then speed = power. so you need speed in order to develope the power.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah speed comes with good techinque being repped over and over. Then Power is a combo of speed + techinque.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Shotokan_Fighter, with all due respect you seem to have a slightly blinkered view of Shotokan.

I have studied most popular styles of karate albeit briefly and I must say that Shotokan does not stand out as being any better than any other style, just different.

I know that you did not criticise any other style but you do appear to have a rather biased opinion of Shotokan.

I reached 1st Kyu in Shotokan and then moved to Goju-ryu. No particular reason. I have found that Goju-ryu is a much harder style of karate, but then in saying that had I continued with Shotokan no doubt I would have reached a similar level of strength.

I'm not picking a fight and I have seen just how dedicated you are to your chosen style. Just a little rant.

Yes a fast man with good technique can hit extremely hard.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

If you go to a tournament in japan you'd be surprised... Kumite winners are almost all of the time from Wado-Ryu...

In 1998, wado-ryu came here in brasil to a team champioship... there were 6 of the best Shotokan guys around from Brasil... and there were all wado ryu guys from japan... Brasil lost all 6 matches... and a guy lost his teeth! I gotta say that those wado guys were amazin... I can't describe it... it was the coolest thing I've ever seen! :o

And shotokan doesn't have anything that other style doesn't have too... if you think that shotokan is fast? shito-ryu has a few things that are faster but not so powerfull... because ( correct me if I'm mistaken ) in shotokan you defend usin power against power right? In shito ryu is a little bit different, it's less power, more technique, because your oponents arm will slide not crash in the block ( got it? I can't express myself to well in english ehheheh sorry... )

and the shuto uke's are faster too, cause the movements have a different way of doing it... and if you think that shotokan is harder... I'd like to see a shotokan fighters practicin sanchin or tenchow... And to end I'd like to see a shotokan guy breakin a few boards like the Uechi Ryu guys do!

Anyway... not looking for a "who's better then who" here... but I don't think that it's correct to say that shotokan has or not an advantage from other styles... cause they're bassicaly all the same! some styles have more advantage then others... but in the big four I guess it's all the same... even tough that every wado guy that I've seen fightin was awesome! ahahhahaha

And just to clear things up, I don't have anything against shotokan, I practice shotokan too, and shito ryu... to b honest I'm just practicing shotokan cause the sensei is one of the best karate-kas here in Brasil! so it's being a great thing just to see him in action! and shito ryu has my heart, and the sensei was one of the first black belts here in Brasil, he's a 9th dan now! hope that someday I'll be able to open my shito-ryu dojo hehehehe :karate:

Well... I guess that's it eheheh see ya guys...

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

krives i know what im talking about, i know my style, shotoakn is what i do and i know the style.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

krives i know what im talking about, i know my style, shotoakn is what i do and i know the style.

I think everyone is suggesting that yeah, you know your style, but you don't know enough about the other styles to say yours is the best. Shotokan is fast and powerful, but some of the other styles might be JUST as fast and powerful.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

me i really coud care less about any style besised shotokan karate, i train in shotokan and thats it, thats what im concentrated on i dont care much for other styles, i know i shouldnt be that way, but taht is what make ma a good fighter, always thinking shotokan, i know there are styles out there that may be faster and more powerfull, but untill i stop training in shotokan ill worry about that, but im not gonna stop training so my heart in soul is with shotokan karate, i wil lexperience other styles when i go around the world to other big MA tournements and fight other styles.

Shotokan_fighters creed

Then don't be surprised if people say you have a rather skewed view. How can you say Shotokan is the fasted if you have no experience with any other styles?

I have found Shotokan people to be rather slow, not in the sense that they moved slowely, but because they're moves where really exagerrated and easy to see coming.

I've even heard it refered to as the JKA dream punch, they dream of landing it, everyone else dreams of them trying too...

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

How can you say Shotokan is the fasted if you have no experience with any other styles?

i never said it was the fastest, i said i was fast, what do you mean easy to see coming, yeah right man, my attacks come fast, stong and are not easy to see coming, either you never been or fought a shotokan karate ka or you just dont know what your talking about, beacuse they are not easy to see coming trust me i know.

Shotokan_fighters creed