• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshinryu Karate?

Seraph

Dude it is time to expand your martial arts horizons and look at things outside your own style. It will enrich not only your knowledge base but your own training.

im not even thinking about going to a different art untill i get my black belt in shotokan karate, and i dont know if i will then. to me sticking with shotokan and learning the art to its fullest, by training every day, being determined mentaly and physically. if i were to learn any other art id try kyokushin karate, that is on my mind. but there is no kyokushin karate schools around my town.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in reguards to your last post sai, it applies to me to. however SMR, please not that i dont claim to be a master if isshinryu, but merely a master of good common scence. and based on my knoladge of physics i do not see how a wrestler is going to take me to the ground EVERY TIME. i like wrestling to, but im telling you skill is everything, and hobbitbob will likely be the next to jump me after this statement but my over confidence actually keeps me alive. i do not downgrade other fighters (will, maybe the Gracie Brothers) or other styles (okay, given, i hate BJJ mostly for political reasons though) but i am quite confident that there isnt a person alive i cant defeat. not saying i would win, right now, at this moment, but its against my life philosophy that any task is impossible. and how do you explain the success of Kyokushin? what makes you think an isshinryu student would be so much less successful. such ideas have been planted in our heads by a biased martial arts media that consist mostly of paid advertisers in magazines that make belive they no what there talking about. oh im all for studying a grappling art along side karate, i probably will myself, but really, as my boss likes to say "do the dam thing" and you shouldnt have to worry that much about being taken to the ground.

but i shouldnt make uneducated ussumptions. (please to god dont qoute that) ill view some of these videos of karate being defeated by takedowns and see what went wrong.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

dude did you just say it will probably do you more good anyway??? on a KARATE FORUM! what style or art do you study, do you relize you just did the equivelent of walking into harlem with a KKK shirt???? what are you thinking! :lol: :karate: :karate: :karate:

Fireka: Isshin ryu is a good style no doubt about that. I wasn't making any comparisons of style, except the mention of wrestling. Your philiosophy that nothing is impossible is also admirable. A wrestler isn't goint to take you down EVERY TIME, but they will take you down EVERY TIME they get a chance, which is more often than you anticipate. I think I am pretty good too, but my brother is a high school wrestler and he takes me down too. Granted, in a friendly bout I'm not going to use my full arsenal of techniques. However in my matches with him I find many, many weaknesses in my technique as a standing fighter. Perhaps one day you will get that good and prove us all wrong, and that would be great. I'd love for karate to be indestructable. It'd give even more purpose to my training.

You should also ask your instructor about pankration. If you haven't heard about it, it is essentially a safer version of UFC. Many martial arts organizations sponsor pankration events at tournaments. Check it out.

dude did you just say it will probably do you more good anyway??? on a KARATE FORUM! what style or art do you study, do you relize you just did the equivelent of walking into harlem with a KKK shirt???? what are you thinking! :lol: :karate: :karate: :karate:

Yes, and I'd imagine just about everyone, with the exception of you perhaps would agree. You already do karate, doing another style will not be as beneficial as doing something with a different skill set, one that is not covered in karate.

But since you asked, I've been doing Isshin ryu for 15 years, that is not all I've done and it is not really the main thing I do anymore. Now my focus is mainly MMA and weaponry, but I still do and teach Isshin ryu.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

If you don't do MA research, don't know anything about any other style or history u're a fool to make certain statements...

all the styles comes from the same place, so arguing about wich one is better is a waste of time...

And a great karate-ka or Martial Artist is not great because of his style... it's because of him! It isn't the style that makes the karateka, it's the karateka that makes the style!

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

were did that come from? look i wont rebudle attacks like that after this because what ive found about argueing is its quite pointless. its not like your going to say something brilliant and someone else will be like 'oh my god your right!' so normally id just argue about something completely made up and diffrent, this works 98% of the time, except for the occasional agresser who will simply change subjects along with you.

but yes ive done a lot of research on a lot of diffrent style because i love martial arts. just like i always say about travelling 'i love my country, but before anything i am a citizen of the earth' im not an isshinryu karateka, will i am, but im a martial artist. everytime i here about a style or art ive never seen before i crave information and go seeking it. (speaking of which, if anyone knows of a good online Krav Manga reference id appriciate it) and the only completely unmoving statement i make is this, and i will stick to it for my life. i dont care if your 102 and have been practicing the verticle punch in your mother womb, you can not say that any style is an absolute domminant. i think its been said somewere that im claiming isshinryu is, im not. yes, im saying an isshinryu karate ka can defeat any fighter. why? because of the fighter! just like a Jujitsu practitoner or a tae kwon do practioner, or a shotokan prationer, all because they are GOOD FIGHTER. I am sorry you lost faith, but that dosent make you right. i can justifiy that by saying there are many good sensais who have trained and studied a lot longer than you, and they havent. i wonder if this enlightning vision you saw is nothing more than a diceving mirage.