• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshinryu Karate?

Seraph

My money is on the wrestler.

Go watch the early UFC's see what happened to all the karate fighters that thought they couldn't be taken down.

I mean even when it was just two karate guys in there it ended up on the ground and neither of them had planned that...

Besides, if you are close enough to hit, you have been close enough to shoot on for some time.

Same here...

Karate is karate and it really doesn't matter what style, it's what you put into it and how you train. OSU!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Isshin ryu heads on the forum, here's a guy that will do you proud. He's a full contact fighter. Breaks bats with his shins and train one of the worlds best K1 and sabbaki fighters in the world. He also lists Kyokushin but I've heard he was just given the titles/rank because of his Isshin ryu and the fact that he KOed a lot of Kyokushin fighters, and yes I have had the chance to work out with him.

http://www.madyskarate.com/index.html

yea, kives nailed it, but his barely speaking english if your not already a student of martial arts. :lol: ive never gotten an injury, and ive seen only one or two people that have, mostly because they were old fogeys though. id say the easist injury to get would be a sprained ankle because of all the pivoting we do, but ive never seen it happen in my school. every instructor deals with things diffrently, usally they just show you what you did wrong, though in some drills my instructor makes us do knuckle pushups. (like that distance drill with the escirma between you and your partner, you know were its on your waist and you have to not let it fall by moving in time) anyways, i wouldnt worry a lot about that, and contrary to SOME peoples beliefe, id like to point out that there IS some grappling, no not as much as jujitsu, go freakin figure, but if you end up on the ground as an isshinryu fighter, youmade a mistake somewere anyways.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

Isn't it interesting to see how a post of questions has turned into this? Haha.

A couple of more questions:

What are the common injuries in Isshinryu?

How are mistakes treated in general in Karate (i've heard some negative things).

And should I do anything before trying to begin (ex. begin exercising more regularly, run, grow a mohawk and look like Mr. T :lol: )?

Thanks to those who've already answered my other questions.

These things are not style specific, but school specific.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

if you end up on the ground as an isshinryu fighter, youmade a mistake somewere anyways.

Yes, mistake being not also training in wrestling and learning how to sprawl.

But even wrestlers get taken down, and they are far better at staying on there feet then karate people.

I admire your enthusiasm, but it is misplaced. Karate is great, but you have to know the limitations of it, same for any other method.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I understand your enthusiasm for your fighting system, however I think that you are overzealous and a bit naive. I know for fact that you haven't been studying for any more than three or four months, and you talk as if you have been doing it for years. The fact is that if you are in a fight with a guy who wants to take you to the ground, you will more than likely end up on the ground. He may eat a few punches coming in, but heads are pretty resilient, much more so than a fist I would estimate. Karate's most effective defense is suprise. If a guy is going to attack you, and you manage to perform a good defense then you have a very good chance at getting away from the fight without having to take any punishment. If your initial defense doesn't work, then your assailent knows it's on. You may still have the advantage if you are a skilled fighter, but it isn't a position I'd like to be in, especially against a moderately skilled wrestler. Contrary to popular belief, they are strong, fast and smart enough. If they get a hold of one even one of your limbs, or duck one of your punches then you are certainly in trouble because they will be on you like a fly on *.

For the Isshin ryu heads on the forum, here's a guy that will do you proud. He's a full contact fighter. Breaks bats with his shins and train one of the worlds best K1 and sabbaki fighters in the world. He also lists Kyokushin but I've heard he was just given the titles/rank because of his Isshin ryu and the fact that he KOed a lot of Kyokushin fighters, and yes I have had the chance to work out with him.

http://www.madyskarate.com/index.html

Mady is one great Karateka. One of the breaking titles he one he actually dislocated his shoulder in the process of winning. So he calmly had someone pop it back in place and went on to accept his title.

after looking at the site, he does seem to be very good

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

I understand your enthusiasm for your fighting system, however I think that you are overzealous and a bit naive. I know for fact that you haven't been studying for any more than three or four months, and you talk as if you have been doing it for years. The fact is that if you are in a fight with a guy who wants to take you to the ground, you will more than likely end up on the ground. He may eat a few punches coming in, but heads are pretty resilient, much more so than a fist I would estimate. Karate's most effective defense is suprise. If a guy is going to attack you, and you manage to perform a good defense then you have a very good chance at getting away from the fight without having to take any punishment. If your initial defense doesn't work, then your assailent knows it's on. You may still have the advantage if you are a skilled fighter, but it isn't a position I'd like to be in, especially against a moderately skilled wrestler. Contrary to popular belief, they are strong, fast and smart enough. If they get a hold of one even one of your limbs, or duck one of your punches then you are certainly in trouble because they will be on you like a fly on *.

I agree. It's can both a good and bad thing when you think your style/system has it all. I like wrestling it's very simple and effective just as boxing is.

after looking at the site, he does seem to be very good

Dude it is time to expand your martial arts horizons and look at things outside your own style. It will enrich not only your knowledge base but your own training.