• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Power not Coming from the Hips.

CheekyMusician

in shotokan my instructor always yells out really loud use the hips the hips!!! but in shidokan they always tell me the legs flows into the hips into the shoulder than into the punch.

falcon kick!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in shotokan my instructor always yells out really loud use the hips the hips!!! but in shidokan they always tell me the legs flows into the hips into the shoulder than into the punch.

Yeah, that's what the author of the book seemed to be saying. He was saying that the power still passes through the hips, but that it doesn't come from the hips.

He was also saying that sometimes being told to get the power from your hips causes students to use too much hip rotation and block off the power coming from the legs so that it can't pass through their hips, and this makes their punches weaker.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheeky_Musician...you have a right to be suspicious a bit.

Hip motion is basically another way of interpreting the application of mass into the overall technique, such as a punch. Remember, that force is equal to mass * acceleration. Acceleration alone with a lack of mass will be faulty as well as vice verca. Using a hip-twitch to create speed may succeed, but using the hip will invalidate it's ability to contribute to mass. Using hip ALONE to add mass into a punch will only allow the upper body mass to be added into a punch, thus corrupting balance (the key to strength) as well as the total manipulation of the potential of power. Power generated from the slight thrust back leg of a Zen stance that triggers the hip into a forward motion while executing a reverse punch will result in the greatest amount of potential power achieved. That way, you use the Zen stance to both apply extra force, mass, and acceleration as well as preserve your balance while executing the punch, your hip is added into the punch, adding more mass and acceleration, and the punch is then supported by the maximum amount of mass and acceleration that your body can provide without having a corruped sense of balance. Try it. Get into a Zen stance, have your back knee slightly bent, thrust off your back heel or ball of your foot, straighten your back knee as you thrust slightly forward into your punch and you will feel your hip coordinate naturally with your punch. That is the idea of a hip influenced punch, and trust me, the japanese are damn good at it.

And btw...if the hip is ever thrown with a punch, it's always thrown the same time as teh punch is executed...never before to create acceleration. Your arm only weighs 2.5 Kilos...maybe 5 at max. With correct body mass application (or many would call, hip motion), the mass can potentially be as high as 15 kilos, and the accerlation would also be increased.

Shiro

1st Dan

World Shito-ryu Karate-do Federation

In Uechi-Ryu, we are taught that all pwer comes from the floor, which is why we never leave our feet while striking. The power comes up throught you base (your legs), is directed forward towards your opponent by your hips, to you arm by the lat muscles (the ones that run down the side of your back), and finally out your arm and through your opponent.

So, the quick answer: Power does NOT come from the hips, but the hips are very important in properly harnessing and directing that power. I hope this helps.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

I believe that the best way to look at this particular concept is to think of a bull whip. The movement starts from ground contact and accelerates through the body acheiving maximum speed at the execution point. where as with the bull whip the power starts with the movement of the handle and speeds up in a wave pattern until the tip of the whip makes contact with the target with maximum speed equating to more power. So technically power does come from the hips or more precisely through the hips.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.