CheekyMusician

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong in saying this but most if not all high ranking karateka will use the rear leg to initiate the power in a technique. It is a fundamental part of the technique. A master like Mas Oyama would undoubtedly use the rear leg to maximise his power.

The more you train the more you will understand.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

and the hip

Yes that's why I said "initiate the power".

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

The truth is that the Japanese styles put too much emphasis on using your hips to generate power. For hook punches a little hip torque helps to transfer your energy from the ground up. The old school karate styles taught rising and sinking power. This was borrowed from Shaolin and White Crane. Using gravity and rootedness as a means to maximize striking power is little understood nowadays. Especially amongst the "school boy karate styles" that are prevalent out there.

All this "straighten your leg" or push forward stuff is silly. Bend your knees when you fight and when delivering low punches, and flex them slightly without straightening them when striking high. Get it right. Shotokan is a bad example to use. Too much Goho no Juho at all. That is why guys like Kanazawa Sensei went to China and Okinawa to train themselves beyond that mediocre karate level. The way Shotokan does things hampers your growth beyond 3rd Kyu.

Don't overcommit on the hip twisting. This ain't golf and balance is key. Lifting your back foot is a prime no-no. Real karete teaches a strong base. This means not to over-hip it or lift your foot when punching. This ain't boxing where grappling is not allowed.

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

Power is the rate of transfer of energy to a body (no pun intended) by the application of a force that moves the body. Kinetic energy is generated in a human body by muscular contraction and relaxation.

Clearly, all parts of the body from the foot to the knuckles should be engaged to maximise the difference between muscle torque and the load torque of the target body's weight. However, just as clearly, not all said parts should be overtly engaged. The power of a punch can be expressed as a function of the degree of engagement of all the muscles in the body (among other things - knuckle density etc). Due to variations in muscle power and body size from person to person, the ideal conditions and positions for maximising the function would also be different. However, for most of us, particular muscle groups work best in particular sequencing and at particular angles.

This particular combination could be found through the use of a makiwara or a heavy punching bag (or maybe a training partner ;))

Another very important point to consider is that power isn't necessarily the most important aspect of a punch. The effectiveness of a punch is determined by the amount of energy transferred. A higher rate of transfer (power) will generally increase effectiveness, but the duration of the transfer is also important. It is important not to underestimate the value of structural support for a greater duration of power through penetration.

Again, use of makiwara, a punching bag or training partner would be of great value.

There is no substitute for experience!

Keep Smiling!

Hi Guys,

This is an interesting debate that has been going on for years. The jury is still out. I tend to agree with a lot of statements in this aritcle from another site. It is used in context with a makiwara and punching power.

http://24fightingchickens.com/101/28_makiwara.html

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.