• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Power not Coming from the Hips.

CheekyMusician

I was reading a rather controversial book today.

Basically, the author said that he doesn't believe that power is generated by the hips, but that it rather passes through them. He said that when you watch any athelete in golf, football etc. their power comes from their legs, and passes up through their body.

He says that he believes that twitching the hips to get more power into a move can actually stop the power from passing through the hips, and that if you try and generate power from the back leg that your techniques will become instantly more powerful.

I find this hard to swallow, probably just due to the fact that as karate practitioners we're always told that power comes from the hips, and due to the fact that most of my techniques seem to be quite powerful using that hip rule.

Any opinions?

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think that guy knows what he is talking about, beacuse in shotokan we get our power from our hip and it works, speed comes from your hips to, viabration also does, but i dont think he really knows what he is talkingabout beacuse power can be generated from your hips.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

The author is spot on.......nearly :)

The initial power does indeed come from the floor/ back leg. I have described this in another post but lets take reverse punch as a prime example:

Standing in a short longstance (hanzenkutsu dachi). Bend your rear leg slightly.

Okay the initial drive is from the leg, then through the hip and finally the arm.

The push of the leg pushes your bodyweight is forward. The twitch he refers to is probably the small eratic move of the hip. By driving from the floor you coil out making a smooth flowing action.

The thing is it does not stop there on impact you should be driving your rear foot into the ground forcing all your weight forward, thus into the punch.

Further more when you front kick a bag. What do you do, lift your leg or push it of off the floor? The latter way will obviously generate more power. When you have made impact on the bag your rear leg should be driving your body forward. This is where the power is.

I agree with the author (who is it?). My recent instructor introduced me to this and yes, my power did improve instantly.

Shotokan_fighter you should not be so quick as to dismiss ideas. Yes power can be/ is generated from your hips but driving from the ground WILL improve your power further.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

To improve power: when hitting the bag have the rear leg slightly bent, prior to throwing the punch straighten the leg, then throw the hip, etc, etc.

I train RP (reverse punch) in various ways on the bag. One way is a rythmic pounding. With what I said above you can transfer your bodyweight forward and back as you punch, this way you will really appreciate the extra power you are creating by getting the whole body behind the punch.

This is what I wrote in an earlier thread 'Shotokans reverse punch'.

Shotokan_fighter you should not be so quick as to dismiss ideas. Yes power can be/ is generated from your hips but driving from the ground WILL improve your power further

yeah i agree with you telsun, power is generated from your hips and the driving leg in a front stance.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

I agree with the author (who is it?). My recent instructor introduced me to this and yes, my power did improve instantly.

I think his name is Gary Pardue, or something similar. I think in the book he mentioned that he was a 7th dan (but possibly it was 6th dan, he said), but I don't know what style.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

yeah i agree with you telsun, power is generated from your hips and the driving leg in a front stance.

But you disagree with the author :-?

Gary Pardue, never heard of him :lol:

i disagreed with the author beacuse he said power dosent come from the hips. i disagree with him when he said that.

Shotokan_fighters creed

*sigh* i love how something works for like, ohh, 300 years and then some guy with a PHD comes along and decides his way is better because he went to hardvard. :roll:

(ps. this was a random example, i dont know who wrote that stuff, geez did you expect me to READ the other post?)

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty