• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tournament Preparation

Kyokushin

Alright, I've wanted to enter a tournament for a VERY long time, but haven't been able to quite yet. Specifically the American International Karate Championships (It has Full contact, semi-contact, and clicker fighting). I either want to do full contact or semi-contact. I don't want to enter it w/o being fully prepared as it is held way up in NY. Plus if I fight Knockdown I don't exactly want to be the loser (that's no fun :P ). What do you guys think is the best way to get ready for this type of sparring besides the obvious of practicing hard?

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are there any local tournaments that you could enter? This would give you practice as well as an idea of how a tournament operates.

Rachael

Kenpo - Red/Black Belt

Tae Kwon Do (long time ago)

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and keep trying again.

look in the mirrior, and for five minutes straight punch yourself in the face...had while screaming "DO YOU WANT THAT! DO YOU WANT THAT!" then when your done say "i didnt think so" this will help you be ready for full contact.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

Are there any local tournaments that you could enter? This would give you practice as well as an idea of how a tournament operates.

Rachael

Yes, there are, but these tournaments are point sparring. That is very different from Knockdown fighting. So I figured it would'nt be of much help, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

I presume that you have fought full contact already kyokushin. This should be most of your mental prep. You also need to conquer fear which will inevitably strike you as you square up to fight. Everyone feels it, although some call it simply nerves, or excitement. Whatever you wish to call it you must learn to control it. You need to be confident, but it does not pay to be outwardly confident. Quietly confident is preferable, although some will argue this.

Physically:

Obviously spar full contact frequently.

Get someone to hit you repeatedly in the stomach whilst learning to take the blow and breath normally. You may also wish to use a medicine ball or a swinging heavy bag.

Get someone to hit you repeatedly and glance the blows off using just your elbows. Use slight twists in your body to allow the punches to just glance of you.

Condition your arms and legs to take and deliver blows.

Do rounds of bagwork. Lay into the bag for 2 minutes, give it everything.

I don't know how experienced you are kyokushin. I am sure that alot of what I have said you will already know, my apologies if it has been patronising.

Asking your instructor would probably be a good idea :)

Edited by telsun

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

what i do is look the guy over before the match comes up, and say im not going to loose, that helps out alot, at least to me it does. i just keep saying in my head over and over, it takes the nervousness out of you so you can prefore to you best.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Emily:

E-mail me at

KyokushinOhio@wcnet.org

i have lots of material that me be helpful

Osu!

See you in October. I should have a few fighters there in NY

I would be interested in seeing that 'material', any chance of posting it so we may all benefit?

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"