• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

favorite kata

aznkarateboi

I like Kanku Dai from Shotokan and Kanku sho!

From shito ryu I like Seisan... ow boy.. that seisan kata is awesome... i love the explosion in the beggining of the kata... but there are a lot of beautifull katas... like Matsumura Bassai, Seiunchin, even tencho...

but I always do Kanku Sho, Seisan and Kushanku Dai ( from shito-ryu )

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ow! And I forgot Nipaipo! I learned this a couple days ago.. cannot do it very well... probably I won't do it very well in a few years from now.. ahahahah but it's a beautifull kata... as Ryufa... but I don't know in wich style Ryufa belongs...

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

Way of the Wolverine...If you don't really consider that a "true" kata then I'd have to choose Shisochin... :)

What club does "way of the wolverine?" I'm in ON as well, let me know were your club is...

Hmmm....not a big fan of the heian/pinan series, since they are kind of just watered down advanced kata. I like Chinto, Gojushiho, Passai Sho and Dai, and Kusanku Sho and Dai....oh wait...I guess I don 't really have a favorite one.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Sanchin!

It doesn't look great, but without it you are nothing. Besides, the simplicity allows you to totally concentrate on the basics: stance, breathing, striking, without worrying about fancy techniques or forgetting anything. It is the true root of any Karate-do man!

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

Annan and Chatanyara Kushanku, hands down. A delicate balance of speed, power, grace, balance, and finesse. Such elements are key to a great kata and a great martial martist.

Shiro

1st Dan (WSKF)

Yeah! Chatanyara Kushanku is my favourite, also Annan and Nipaipo is pretty cool too.

Kill is love

Has to be Gankaku (Chinto) as it suits me being a 'kicker' :brow:

I tend to agree with Shorin Ryuu about the Heians - useful teaching tools for preparing people for the advanced katas but I much prefer practising Kanku Dai instead as it does almost all Heian katas in one go :o

Gotta love Tekki Nidan too cos it is so dynamic (like the other Tekkis but better IMO) and feels good to perform.

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)