• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what is kata?

sansoouser

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
to me kata is a must in karate training, if you dont know kata, you dont know karate. ppl say kata is useless, i disagree and so would the founders of karate that made katas. one of my senseis that is a 7th dan said "if you were stuck on a island for 2 years and all you did was practice kata, after kata, you would come off the island as one of the best fighters". I agree with him, kata helps you with karates basic techniques, form, ect. I know you need to sparr to beable to fight good but kata simulates fighting against someone. Kata makes your techniques more correct, more faster, stronger, you build strength in kata, like i said kata is a must for ever karate ka.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

ya but what is it? do you just do a sequence of moves over and over thinking of what an opponent might do then do a air block with a punch or what?

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

basically... also there is bunkai (application of kata) where you learn how to apply the techniques to real life situations. If you perform them slowely they are also good for relaxation.

ya but what is it? do you just do a sequence of moves over and over thinking of what an opponent might do then do a air block with a punch or what?

No, when you do you kata the opponent must always be in your mind. When you strike or block or kick you must tell yourself this technique would end the fight, that way each one has power, speed, and strength. Through kata you can also learn what a certain move can be used for. The ones you do and you think, "What the heck would I ever use this for?" I came to understand many techniques b/c of kata. Yes, if you only look on the surface kata is merely a sequence of moves, but if you take it seriously it is much more.

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

The simple answer is kata is prearranged movements and techniques to defend yourself against one or more opponents. The more complex and more thought provoking answer is as follows:

Katas are the essence of Karate, without them Karate would be the mere learning of various fighting and self-defense techniques, expressing nothing and allowing for no aesthetic development. Katas are the distilled concentrated wisdom, understanding, and experience of hundreds of great karate peak awareness. When one begins to understand them one glimpses a new world of untold internal riches. The primary meaning of the kata is for the performer himself. If he is unable to immerse himself in the kata and so release his emotions, or life force, a master will say of the performer that he is still "in the dance", that is, unable to emote or express his feelings at will. This poignant karate saying has an even more profound when the sensei refers to a student "coming out of the dance". This is the highest compliment one can recieve. The eventual perfection of the katas lead not only to mastery of the basic forms and techniques, but also to physical and spiritual sensitivity and to complete control of all parts of the body.

A good Karateka first develops his katas to perfection and later perfects his Jul-Kumite (sparring) ability.

To me kata teaches my body to react without thinking. In a real confrontation one has only a fraction of a second to react, if you have to think about the technique you are going to use it is already to late! IMHO!

:D :karate:

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

To me kata teaches my body to react without thinking. In a real confrontation one has only a fraction of a second to react, if you have to think about the technique you are going to use it is already to late! IMHO!

I totally agree! What kata teaches you is how to react instinctively with fast combinations of techniques. Kata is nearly always a block/evade followed with a counter, perfect self defence practice IMHO! :)

Sansoouser, why not have a look on the internet for some kata video clips and see for yourself what we are talking about :)

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

San Soo is not real Chuan Fa. It is a form of garbage disposal fighting made up by some Chinese cat. They have no forms because it is not a real Kung Fu style. Even Wing Chun has forms! Bruce Lee's quoting of Miyamoto Musashi is awe-inspiring to the unknowing. He was a mid-level martician at best, that killed himself with over indulgence in self. Being formless entails knowing what form is first. Nothing except Ku or the void is formless. You get to that point through Poomse, Kata or Hyungs.

Don't listen to Kathy Long. She is a chick and never fought for real in her life, especially against a good strong man! You will never know kata because you will waste your time getting your arm snapped by John Marsh. That Americana Lock is a beyotch, especially agaist Fake Fu.

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

Bruce Lee's quoting of Miyamoto Musashi is awe-inspiring to the unknowing. He was a mid-level martician at best, that killed himself with over indulgence in self.

What are you talking about? I'm not calling you out, I actually am not sure what you are saying...what is a martician? Please help me out...

Am I just missing something here?

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Sorry for the oddness. I was saying that without forms you cannot know formlessness, which is obviously what modern styles like San Soo and JKD are trying to do. I guess all styles are. For example the "Ku" or "Void" sign at the beginning of Kusanku. Ah-ha a new meaning for the movement, heh. Kata is key/ki. That whole be formless spiel by Bruce Lee was a straight up bite of Musashi's "Book of the Five Rings". Anyway, I hate kata haters because they are usually dolts who know-nothing.

So you are a Kobayashi guy? Are you Shidokan or Shorinkan? I did Shorinkan before switching to Matsumura Orthodox. Both are very good systems. All-encompassing in scope and practice :). Hope I cleared up my rant.

Yeah Kobayashi is what Shotokan is trying to be!

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan