• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

glasses in karate

AlienRage

i practice karate and i wear prescription glasses. i was wondering what the best option would be for me when i have to take them off (sparring, etc). sport glasses, contacts (rather not), just do without them...?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It depends on how well u can see without them. I train without my glasses, personally, but if you require them, then sport glasses sound appropriate. I too have a problem with contact lenses, so that is my recommendation

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

That's so weird AlienRage, I was thinking about asking this very question on the forum just yesterday! Spooky :lol:

Luckily I don't yet have to wear glasses except for reading, so no problems with training. But if I did have to, I personally would be a bit worried about getting hit in the eye while wearing contacts. Accidents do happen, and friends of mine have had problems while playing sports with contact lenses in. I would suggest sports glasses for kumite, or if you can, go without! Wear your glasses for non-contact training like kata etc.

Good luck! :)

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

I wear contacts. I've had them knocked out of place a few times but haven't taken any serious hits to the eye. My eyesight is extremely poor so I can't train without anything, the idea of glasses slipping all over my sweaty face and the lack of peripheral vision doesn't sound appealing. I do have re-wetting drops I keep in my gear bag and use before practice, otherwise they dry out when I'm sparring and become a bad distraction.

I've even thought about looking into laser eye surgery since I began training, I hear it's gotten a lot cheaper. Scary, but it would be so nice to have properly working eyes.

I am way beyond legally blind without my glasses. I invested in rec specs to wear and I think they were worthwhile. I wore them under an openfaced foam sparring helmet.

You will also find other times to wear them. I wear mine in the pool when I work with the aqua jogger or do kata or drills in the water.

I dont do Karate so you dont have to take my advice but I wear glasses and during Randori I just take then off. So far no problems. Good Luck.

Kendo is like starwars and everyone gets to be Darth Vader.

"Luke, I am your sensei"

Be careful with the contact lenses.

I don't know if this is true or not, but my friend said that when she got her contacts, her optician told her to avoid getting hit in the head as sometimes it can cause the contact to shoot behind the eyeball. Eek!

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

my best advice would be to take them off, if you cant do that then wear sport glasses. i dont wear glasses, so i dont have to worry about it.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

I train with a bunch of not too young people and almost everybody trains in contact lenses. I normally wear throw away contact lenses but occasionally train in my glasses but take them off for sparring. This is because from experience I know just how much it hurts when someone bashes them from the side and the glasses take the hit onto the bridge of your nose. I'm quite short sighted so sparring without them is a novel experience as the opponent doesn't come into focus until they get into range to hit them ot they've hit you!!