• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata

Lü Bu

We're working on Heian Nidan and Heian Sandan right now. The Kokutsu dachi isn't my favorite so it's a challenge for me. I love the kata's however, just have to refine and sharpen the techniques. :)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes Martial_Girl, that jump is hard!! 360 degrees and then land with your front leg bent! :o

I've tried but without much success. There is a similar jump in the Wado kata Wanshu, but you land in back stance.

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

I've learned all the empty hand kata for my system, so now I'm going back and making sure my layers of interpretation are getting increasingly advanced. The newest one was gojushiho though.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

We're working on Heian Nidan and Heian Sandan right now. The Kokutsu dachi isn't my favorite so it's a challenge for me. I love the kata's however, just have to refine and sharpen the techniques. :)

A number of people I have encountered had problems with kokutsu dachi at first. Having done a lot of shiko dachi before encountering kokutsu I found kokutsu had a very natural feel to it.

Just give it time. It will get better.

It's interesting to hear all the different types of katas that people are learning. So far, being only at the yellow belt level, I've learned what my dojo studies as 1. 27 movements, 2. Zen Chin Chotie (sp?), 3. Kata Ni-Dan 4. Heian Ni-Dan, 5. Taikyuku San-Dan and currently I'm working on Niseisi-Sho. Has anyone else learned these? I find I tend to mix them up with each other on occassion but lately I have been really focusing on learning them over and over before really learning the last one.

I attended a seminar a few weeks ago and I learned Gekisai Dai Ichi which is a completely different style but I liked it a lot.

What style do you study, Ises? I recognize some of them as japanese names for kata. Your school seems to teach kata pretty quickly.

My dojo works with Chito-Ryu. And although it seems like it may be fast but I've been working on these katas since October of last year and he drills up repetitively on them. I go to class twice a week and practice as often as I can as well. Sometimes I feel like I live and breath kata! lol The seminar was just an aside from regular classes and it was nice to learn a kata from the goju style.

Does it still seem off that we have learned so many? I really don't have much to compare things to.

My personal favorite is when sensei asks us to do Kusanku backwards. Talk about a brain fry. Whew!

I get about 4 moves into it then I fry!

Yes, that's quite a challenge for some of the advanced kata! Some other things to try are kata in a mirrored image, and kata with your eyes closed.. (not as simple as it sounds)

Keep Smiling!

I'm working on Seienchin and Unsu. It's pretty hard to do that jump in Unsu, gotta practise!

Nice jump indeed.. Jumping 360 degrees from an awkward stance, doing two kicks and then landing solid... takes practice.. and patience..

Keep Smiling!