• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata

Lü Bu

what kata are you doing?

im on kihon Shodon(sp?) a 29 year old in my class needs help from me a 12 year old with the basic steps. he cant remeber anything.

Gold belt in Shudokan karate-do

yellow belt in Okinawan Kobudo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've just completed Heian Shodan (although, I still feel that the change into backstance at the end feels a bit awkward and that I should work on it some more), so I'll be moving onto Heian Nidan.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Mainly Shisoshin (Goju kata). I study each kata I know for about a month at the time. Break it down it small parts and refine my movements. Bunkai of kata is my true love though. I love practicing bunkai and developing various other bunkai for each of the moves, it is all endless........

You keep on helping that 29 year old. Help others and others will help you......

CheekyMusician: have you tried doing your kata blindfolded or with your eyes closed? It's a great way to develop balance. Also make sure you know where your feet are when you move through back stance.

You probably do already but when you bring your feet to the midpoint (together or near together) this should give you an indication of where your feet should be going too. Just a suggestion.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

An alternative to doing kata blindfolded is to practice your kata without any techniques. Just practice stepping and rooting your stances. Many people are so focused on the other elements that they pay little attention to where thier feet are at.

An alternative to doing kata blindfolded is to practice your kata without any techniques. Just practice stepping and rooting your stances. Many people are so focused on the other elements that they pay little attention to where thier feet are at.

Good advice. We teach each kata feet only before we introduce the hands.

Would you be so courteous as to repond to Lu Bu's question smr?

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Hello, I'm working on Naihanchi (aka Tekki) and Seishan (aka Hangetsu) for my 1st Kyu grading. I know the moves, now it's getting the power and focus into it. I've also been practicing a little on Wanshu and Pasai (aka Basai-dai), as well as Bo and Sai kata, but obviously these are second to my grading katas.

I remember Pinan (Heian) Shodan and Nidan took me quite a while to get right.. stick at it, one day it will all just fall into place :)

The worst thing is when Sensei makes us do the katas the opposite way! For example, turn to the right first instead of the left in pinan nidan. I get in such a mess! :lol:

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

hi

i have just done my crane movement for my purpel i know if i have past tonight, how i am doing tension kata for my 2nd purple

L8er :karate:

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

That's a great idea WadoGuy.. I might mention that to my sensei .. then again maybe I shouldn't :lol:

Last week's training Sensei got us to make up a short kata of our own, and explain it's bunkai to the rest of the class. Then we had to put all the kata together into one long kata and learn it!! That was hard as the end result ended up being longer than Kushanku! :D

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi