• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Um, I may be a little out of my depth as I don't study any Kung Fu styles, but that may be a good thing.

As I see it, we are all pretty much the same. Two arms, two legs. There's only so many techniques that can be applied, several are just variations. The principles of applying the techniques are equally important. Street oriented would be mostly strikes (usually close range attacks), and simple, effective grappling. If you go to ground, your priority is to get back up.

Anyone with anything to add?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no offense, but to the person above me i disagree, kung fu is much different than karate, not sayign karate is uneffective but kung fu applies MANY chinese theories and to truly get the form and technique right is hella hard, just to hold horse stance is hard as is without teachers fixing me like 20 times. kung fu is very different. All styles of kung fu are also very different, even different schools with the same style can be different, just because of the different philosophy. With more hard styles like kickboxing, karate or jujitsu, its very broad, and not much theorie is applied, they only applie which is most practical, one is idealistic one is realistic

Okay another question to all - does your style focus mostly on gross motor movements, or fine motor movements?

Also, would you agree that you need a balance of simplicty/effectiveness.

Ok White,

I totally disagree with you on this. You say that there are not many theories that are applied....well, there are. In jujitsu(Budo Taijutsu), there is the subject of kukan. This basically means body space and the controlling of said space, sometimes without ever touching your opponent. I think that you feel this way because many Japanese arts appear external in the beginning. But as you go on, the internal side of the art becomes more apparent...just like there are some Chinese schools that teach internal to external, eg: Tai Chi Chuan.

And my own vote is on Ba Qua. This is mainly due to the VERY elusive body movements and such. My own experience made me feel like I was trying to attack smoke. It is very graceful and subtle. But all of these traits can be found in other "styles"...it is just one of the few that have demonstrated these traits to me on a steady basis.

---Joshua

There are no limits.

since i dont have any expieriences with kung fu, i might be wrong, but here it goes anyway:

in Kung Fu San Soo, the goal is to end a fight after 5 or less, by any means. its brutalness and variety off techniques make it very effective once mastered.

i like Praying Mantis Kung Fu very much; sadly i am not able to train it. the seven star system combines every aspect a really good and effective martial art must have, at least for me :-)

just my opinion, and since i dont know many of the 500+ kung fu styles, its probably not even a very qualified one.

i do mantis. its fun.

sifu says that against someone who's well versed in wing chun, someone well versed in mantis would only lose if they were fighting in a phone booth.

i did tae kwon do, and kenpo aswell. but i'm not into martial arts for self defense. i do it cuz its fun and its something i feel comfortable doing. kinda like my niche i guess.

i think thinking about how effective a style of kung fu is kind've an obsolete question, cuz how often do you go out and get mugged? and how often (out of those few that occur) does the attacker come at you like in the chop socky flicks and says "hey! gimmi your money!" as he puts his hand on your shoulder and you two get into a kung fu battle of styles.

i think whatever works for the individual is what works best.

just like japanese styles. if you're tall and slender, you'll have fun with tae kwon do kicking. if you're short, strong and stocky... maybe a hard style like karate would suit you.

actually... i dont really know what i'm talking about. ignore me.

but i do do mantis. and it is fun.