• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What style of Kung Fu do you think is the most effective fighting wise.

Now please just your opinions, no saying one sucks or is better just say which one you like and some reasons why.

PLEASE NO NEGATIVE TALK

Thank you :)

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five Animals Shaolin.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Some people say those are ineffective because it teaches you to fight like animals, and they fight like animals and we fight like humans but is it good if we try to fight like an animal? Not putting it down just asking how is it effective. For instance what if a tiger started boxing a gorilla out? :karate:

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

the animals are in gungfu to teach you concepts and strategies, techniques and skills, not necessarily actually emulate the animal persay but perhaps specific attributes and characteristics of the animal.

if i'm doing tiger, i'm not going to get down on all fours and literally fight like a tiger, biting etc... but i WILL emulate some of the tiger's attributes (ferocity, aggressiveness, strength etc) and characteristics.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

Are the five animal styles similar to Earth, Wind, Water, Fire and the Void? Earth being

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Treebranch, you're talking elemental theory now... related but not the same, no.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

Yeah, I'm really familiar with animal styles. Do you have a link I can look at. I love Kung Fu because they have so many little hidden gems in the techniques that many people don't know are there.

Yeah, that's really cool Synaesthesia. The thing is that techniques were used in real Combat at one time and in order to fight for a long period of time with many attackers, you had to be efficient. If you just used your arm all die to swing your sword, you'd tire quickly and be killed. Using the hips and footwork to wield a sword is much more efficient and powerful. Take swimming for example, if you just used your arms to swim you'd tire out fast. If you just used your legs, same thing. But if you use your whole body in unison along with controlled breathing, you could swim fairly long distances. It is my opinion that this concept is key to any worth while Martial Art. :)

• 2 months later...
I think 7 star praying mantis is pretty effective - it has elements of most effective parts of the shaolin styles as well as the then newly developed Mantis system. Kicks, punches, locks, throws, pressure points, submission holds as well as internal development.

Empty your mind, be formless,

shapeless--like water.