• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

just started doing wing chun

Well dude, if you don't think your way of punching is the best way for you at the moment, why do you continue to do it that way ? Not flaming ya btw - just a question...

But what you say about 'with my thoeries in mind' etc is exactly what I put in my previous post. Cool.

Interesting that you learned all about the punch in six months - I've been training considerably longer than that and am still refining it and adjusting it and learning new stuff... Someone told me Gichin Funokoshi's last words were "I think I'm learning to punch properly....uuurgh."

But with regard to the video, I'm sure it's cool, and if I had time to learn another art as well, I would do so - but ATM all the time I spend practicing something else must come off the time I spend on WC - and that doesn't seem to be the best use of time, because at the moment I'd rather be an excellent WC fighter than pretty good in two arts. Just my way of doing stuff.

>>>PS<<<

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-defense is only an illusion, a dark cloak beneath which lurks a razor-sharp dagger waiting to be plunged into the first unwary victim. Sifu Wong.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well dude, if you don't think your way of punching is the best way for you at the moment, why do you continue to do it that way ? Not flaming ya btw - just a question...

I never reply to posts I feel are flames or bates so don't worry.

As to your question, I feel the punches I train are the best with my fighting style nothing special about that. (I get into more detail down below)

Cool.

Yes, cool. We can both think for ourselves. That makes the martial an art.

Interesting that you learned all about the punch in six months

Correction. I learned how it is supposedly done, not how it is done. I chose my words carefully.

at the moment I'd rather be an excellent WC fighter than pretty good in two arts. Just my way of doing stuff.

Great! Good for you.

Edited by Kirves

one problem many have with the wing chun straight punch is that they see it, copy it and then without understanding it or training in it, say it is useless.

that is like me picking up a three section staff, hitting myself with it and saying it is dangerous...

many beginners often say that they don't feel the straight punch is strong enough but that is only because they haven't trained their punch and they haven't practiced it in it's environment against an opponent.

when learning a martial art, you have to first learn all there is to know within it's own context.when you have sufficient knowledge, then and only then can you step outside of your styles boundaries and see with new eyes.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Spot on, Kirves. As you say each of us has our way, and we should respect everyone's choice of way. I do, although sometimes it all gets a little heated.

When I started on this forum I was hoping to learn all kinds of new stuff, but as it turns out I spend an hour or so each day defending the name of WC to people whose only yardstick is the UFC - and I am rapidly losing interest in doing so.

I genuinely believe that the artist is more important than the style, and it is nice to see someone agree for once. :-)

respec'

>>>PS<<<

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-defense is only an illusion, a dark cloak beneath which lurks a razor-sharp dagger waiting to be plunged into the first unwary victim. Sifu Wong.

I agree. Each martial art suits people differently.

For me, I just feel that my legs are my best weapon. Since WC uses very few kicking techniques, I feel that I'm wasting my potential. I like to mix WC (mainly for defense), TKD (for the kicking), and boxing (punching).

I know it takes time to develop strength in WC's straight punch, but I just feel that it restricts the power from your whole body. Even though WC emphasizes that you shouldn't use the local muscles, and that you should use your entire structure, I feel that you're only using your arm to punch, which isn't as strong as if you put your whole body in to it, such as a right cross in boxing. In WC, I feel that you're mainly using the muscles from the shoulder down to the fist, and maybe the legs a bit, during the moment of impact. It reminds me of a strong jab with the fist in a vertical position. In boxing, you put your upper torso and legs in to the punch. For me, it feels much more natural. I feel that I can inflict more damage from a right cross than a straight punch, IN MY PRESENT LEVEL OF TRAINING. I don't really train in boxing, I just use the basic punching techniques, which would come natural to many people.

you're right, training the wing chun punch does take a long time and dedication but then that is the very meaning of kung fu.

but i don't really agree with what you say about restrictig power. the real strength of our punch comes from correct body position. your stance really has to be rooted to push from the ground.

our best friend is the speed we develop in our hands movements. we never over-commit any of these movements and as such we aim to be able to hit/strike from any hand position.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

Here's a quick test for you Wing Chun people:

Take the basic goat straddling stance. punch the basic punch (leave the arm extended). Have someone push your fist towards you, hard. I mean, let them try to push you over backwards by pushing hard and quickly to your fist. Now try it again, but this time move the fist from the centerline to the side, about the same vertical line as the shoulder of the same arm. So the fist is not in front of your chest but in front of the shoulder. Have your partner push your fist hard towards you. In the latter case you will be easily toppled backwards. There you see the base mechanism of how WC creates the power to it's punch. And how important it is to understand the proper way to punch. If you do a WC punch but with boxing type alignment, the punch is weak and easily diverted even to a point where you'll fall down. But if you do it correctly, in a way that would be wrong alignment in boxing, it is strong and can withstand a lot of resistance. Just make sure your stance is correct from ground up to your whole posture. Go on, try it!

if your stance is good you can also resist a push standing on one leg in stance...

try it, you might like it!

• 1 month later...

To say one art is better is to limet your self and ability.

No art is best its differnt for each person .

Stick with one art to start with this will make a strong base to work and growe from. Then learn other Arts , this will also help if u face someone and u know some of what to expect from there art (rememder that weekend seminar on Dim-Mak, lol) even if its only a bit and u forget it still there.

I would "fight" someone doing Hsing yi differnt then someone doing

Wing Chun, or monky for examp.

I have done lots of differnt styles a combo of all with exp is the best style

even if not seen is there.

Oh yah continues punches won't save him for long..lol or that aditude. :brow:

"You punch like a pig and kick like a dog"