• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

grappling big and small

Im fairly strong myself but rather short, I practice BJJ with some friends quite often. I find for myself that arm locks and leg locks just dont work, the only take down i can manage against a fully resisting opponent is a double leg take down, some times a single leg. When im on the ground leg locks and arm bars seem almost impossible..i try to execute them but dont have much luck, Im good at passing the guard, and can slip out of a lot of holds, Ive won 99% of grappling matches with my friends, but i always win via choke hold. Ive managed to pull off the Americana once.

Any suggestions ?

Or are there individual styles like there are in boxing.

Boxing:slugger,brawler,boxer

BJJ:Arm Guy,Leg Guy, Choke Guy

?????????????????????????????????????????

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ive been taught by a friends step dad about 6 years ago and have kept in contact with him and everytiem i go to visit, him and i practice for a while and work on my techniques..so I have had some formal instruction. Probably about 100 hours of 1 on 1 formal instruction, the rest ive been picking up from books etc.

Ive learned lots of arm bars and leg locks, and I can execute them on a fully resisting opponent im stronger and or bigger then, but I usually practice with a guy who 6'0 and weighs about 350lbs, and he doesnt woddle when he walks he walks like a regular person, so his leg strength is incredible, thus I usually end up choking him out.

• 3 weeks later...
Beating your friends on a regular basis is borderline useless. You should take classes or at least spar with other people. You learn nothing from people who you can "handle" easily.

"A deer admires a lion. But all the members of our family are lions. So it doesn't matter which lion I admire. "

-Rener Gracie-

Beating your friends on a regular basis is borderline useless. You should take classes or at least spar with other people. You learn nothing from people who you can "handle" easily.

Yeah, it is a lot of fun to just pile out int othe yard and go at it purely for fun, but that is all it is good for, fun. If everyone is at the same skill level, you will plateau. You need to do to a class. It is a waste of time to learn a thing or 2 from somebodys, you have to learn the Art or Style, not just a move or 2!

As for the second part of your question, yes, different people have different styles - I, for example use the kimura and americana religioulsy, from various positions. But, I can do other techniques also. Just because you specialize in one thing doesn't mean you can't do anything else.

What are these other throws and takedowns you are trying that don't work?

your only as good as the people you practice with

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

i think big grapplers are more overpowering than small, as big has more weight than lighter grapplers. yeh it is true that one can learn a lot from grappling as grappling is where the fight continues when its groundfighting. if one can never get knocked out, and they are really big and tough then its grappling or so called groundfighting.

i think big grapplers are more overpowering than small, as big has more weight than lighter grapplers.

The short strong guys always have an advantage, the only problem is, many of then don't know how to sue there height to work for them. Most of them try to fight at the heigh of the taller fighting, and they lose a lot of power. And on the ground, lighter is better.

Just anyother reason to go to class. A good teacher will show you how to use your height to your advantage.