• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

using the makiwara board

Shotokan_Fighter

For a cheap alternative go to a shop that supplies foam and rubber products and buy has much foam has you can affort and strap it to anything around your place and hit that..

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have a little read of this, kinda the same thing:

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=8790

I think that a traditional makiwara is buried in the ground. At the base there is a large rock placed in front of the plank, towards the suface another rock is placed behind the plank. The hole is filled with tightly packed soil not concreted. This allows for the makiwara to flex in the hole aswell as the makiwara as itself. The plank tapers as it goes up.

I am sure that I saw it on the net some where and I have seen it in numerous books.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

I use a wall mounted version in the garage. It has slices in it to alow for some rebound. It will make your hands tough and your punch powerful. But don't put it on ther same wall with your favorite pictures.

yea my dojo has a really nice wall mounted one, it doesnt really effect the hall to much, but then again there isnt any pictures near by either, its got some nice reboind.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

wall mounting the makiwara, i thought of that, i might do that.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate