• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

using the makiwara board

Shotokan_Fighter

how are you guys setting up your makiwara board? iv just got one about a week ago and iv been trying to think of a way to set it up so i can use it. iv herd of the one where you put it in the ground on a big board, i seen that on 24fightingchickens.com. or do any of you put it right on the wall? what do you guys do. i really wanna put that up so this would help thanks

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I just dug a whole about a cubic foot in size, filled it with cement and stabbed a board into it. Wrapped rope around the board for padding.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I just dug a whole about a cubic foot in size, filled it with cement and stabbed a board into it. Wrapped rope around the board for padding.

Heh, anyone seen Steven Seagal's "Hard To Kill"? He does just the same thing, and then after training for the length of a musical montage.. punches it so hard he breaks the board in half! Great stuff :lol:

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

he was using the makiwara board? thats funny he broke it, i havnt seen that movie but i think im gonna.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

I've started using a makeshirt makiwara (a tree) but I'm not sure how to start using it. They say hit it buts its more complicated, do I start at full power. How can I stop myself chickening out when it comes to shin kicks (which hurt like hell when you start)?

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

Hitting trees with your shin is a big no-no. Fill a canvas bag with sand, prop it against the tree, and kick that. If you punch trees, make sure they're only a few inches think and soft wood so it;s springy.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I have a post that I use to punch and kick, it's not a makiwara but I find it works for me. I took two old (thick) phone books wrapped them in plastic and nailed them into a tree with spikes. It may sound crazy but I find it works well and it's cost effective. OSU!

A bucket filled with rice works as well...

Yeah i use phone books also ... but please use gaffer tape not spikes... thats so violent .. hehehe

Beer-monster- save some money and buy a nice soft heavy bag, rope it up in your garage or from a tree and shin kick that... it wont hurt has much