Question for you TKD, and Karate people

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh almost forgot incase you dont notice in the top left corner of the link I put up it says

Headquarters

Department of the Army

Washington, DC, 18 January 2002

all you have to do is look at all the nice pictures

you can find this one in chapter 4

a. North-South Position (Figure 4-1). This position allows many possible attacks and is very difficult for the enemy to escape from. You should attempt to control the enemy's arms by placing your elbows on the ground in his arm pits. You will also need to shift your weight in order to prevent him from rolling you over.

http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/3-25.150/fig4-1.gif

Xerziz,

Why should we prove that BJJ is a martial art? You’re the one making the statement that it isn’t a martial art so the onus is on you to back up your statements. BJJ has 3 components, Self-defense, sport and Vale Tudo, so how can it not be a martial art?

BTW, karate, judo, or tae kwon do all have tournaments, so why are they different in your definition than BJJ?

Really, you’re making no sense.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

Gracie JiuJitsu

http://w3.blackbeltmag.com/halloffame/html/210.html

The very last sentence reads.

Black Belt presents him with its Man of the Year award for his outstanding contribution to the martial arts.

OH MY GOSH BUT HOW CAN THAT BE !!!!! According to Xerziz Brazilian JiuJitsu is not a martial Art !

Yet the biggest Martial Arts Magazine awards Heilio Gracie with its Man of the Year Award for his contribution to Martial Arts.

Oh, I'm wrong? Prove me wrong then, cause I know Brazillian JJS is not a martial art. Fighting in tournament is not self-defense...although it does increase your skills.

Definition of Martial arts from Dictionary.com:

Any of several Asian arts of combat or self-defense, such as aikido, karate, judo, or tae kwon do, usually practiced as sport. Often used in the plural.

where does it say "tournament", for "fight"?

#1. Quoting the dictionary is just plain stupid. Nothing makes their definition any more valid than mine.

#2. Even that dictionary says "usually" practiced as a sport. In face, it specifically states that it is used for combat or self-defense, though I would disagree that is must be Asian in origin to qualify. To my knowledge, BJJ was designed explicitly for real-life combat.

#3 The very suggestion that Jiu-Jitsu is not a martial art is mind-boggling. It is so similar to Judo, which you apparently DO recognize as a martial art, that claiming one is a martial art and the other is not is absurd. That's like claiming a bruised apple is not the same thing as a smooth apple, and therefore does not qualify as an apple.

Uh....they're not teaching the soldiers BJJ! It's call BASIC SELF DEFENSE
[edit]

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

I agree TJS. A senseless argument to say the least! Further postings should attempt to reflect a sense of mutual respect for all persons AND arts. If you have nothing nice to say then please don't say anything. Thanks!! :)

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/