• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question for you TKD, and Karate people

Ok...just straight to the point: How would you guys defend, and fight a Jujitsu fighter? Cause none of y'all are used to grappling, groundfight...etc...you tend to panic when on the ground. Just a question, no need to tear my head off...

This is a valid question. I think many senior karateka need to address this issue.

So, how? OH, yeah, don't say: "Strike first...avoid him...WIN!" blah....

Well, I would think its best to stick with what you know best. Someone skilled in the striking arts should not attempt to out-grapple a grappler!

Keep Smiling!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides, I've always subscribed to the philosophy that anyone has a chance at beating anyone else. There's no guaranteeing ideal circumstances, which means anything can happen.

Very true. Why would two so-called martial artists want to fight in the first place?

Keep Smiling!

kyle san you just need to ******** cause you dont know what your talking about.

Being a better fighter than someone else has little real value.

Keep Smiling!

..download the BJJ vs Shotokan karate video and tell us what you'd do differently to the karate black belt.

First, I wouldn't be in a pretend fight and throw the fight for the video... :wink:

Seriously, this karateka had an extremely high stance, ran at his tackling opponent and didn't throw any techniques until he was grabed.. all wrong!

Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for BJJ artists. I would not like to have to face one.

I know its not the same as studying grappling, but I've played a bit of rugby and there are several ways to try and avoid being tackled. I would employ these whilst attempting to use my strikes from the far or mid-range.

(For the americans - rugby is real football without helmets and shoulder pads.. :P)

Keep smiling!

Keep Smiling!

[

(For the americans - rugby is real football without helmets and shoulder pads.. :P)

Keep smiling!

Thats what we call good ol 10 on 10 :D Every sunday, no equipment no ref and no rules :brow:

I still cant figure out the point scoring system with you guys... :-?

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Yeah, well it's also without the 300 lb, 6' 10 walking wrecking balls too. :D

You guys always seem to refer to the pads as though they are protection. If you'll notice, they are being used more as a weapon. :wink:

But we digress from the topic.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

not even worth it, you would be wasting your money man, you dont even realize. kyle san ppl like you make me strive to be the best, to show what i can do, beacuse man you just dont know. kyle san you just need to shut [edit] up cause you dont know what your talking about.

Well, good for you. I'm glad that you're motivated to be better. But, please, make an attempt to find a grappling school to try out your theories. Oh, but one last word of advice. I used to think like you do when I was in Shotokan karate, but then I met my current sensei and my mind changed pretty quickly.

Try keeping your eyes and mind open, you might actually learn something.

see theres a difference from me and you kyle san and other ppl that WERE in shotokan karate and QUIT. im not going to quit shotokan karate, i will never go to another style. i will proove that shotokan karate is that damn good, im different than most shotokan karate kas, i eat sleep and breath shotokan karate, most ppl arnt like me and that is what makes me good, im not saying im the best, but i have that attitude. I know im not the best, but i will try to be. Im going to start going to major MA tournements when i am a 3rd kyu black belt, and show the ppl there what i can really do. If i fail or not thats not what i am worring about now, im training for that moment, and when that day comes i will be ready.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

thats my dream, its my journey.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

thats my dream, its my journey.

Good for you. If you're ever up north in the Manitoba area, let me know. I'd be more than willing to spar you and help out with your journey. I think it's great that you want to prove yourself with Shotokan, however keep your eyes and mind open. Even if you don't switch styles, knowing what they focus on and their philosophy is very important.