• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question for you TKD, and Karate people

We're doing more ground fighting every month. At first it was pretty silly and all in good fun, but these days were practicing shoots, arm bars, a few leg locks, and of course 'ground and pound'. All bow before that last 'technique' for nothing will make your opponent look prettier. :lol:

I can speak from experience that even a smaller, and unskilled opponent can be very successful with a shoot, unless you sprawl and get out of the way. Kicking is not going to work too well...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're ever up north in the Manitoba area, let me know. I'd be more than willing to spar you and help out with your journey.

if i ever am how would i let you know, beacuse id be more than willing to go a round with you, im glad that you are giving me some support thank you

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Blind Style loyalty is what keeps people from achieving their potential.

TJS what do you mean by that?

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

I mean if another stlye does something better than you should learn those techniques if possible...certain stlyes have specialty's and as such they are usually the best at it.

Boxer have the best punches

wrestlers/judoka have the best throws/takedowns

Muay Thai fighters have the best knees and clnch work

What im saying is you can always learn and improve from other stlyes and to not do so because of "loyalty" to your own stlye is rediculous and will limit your potential.

Still, Jujitsu is not a martial art, well, Brazillian Jujitsiu to be precise. They always hold these tournaments. Martial arts is not about fighting, it's about defense.

you are wrong..i dont even know where to start with a statment like that..

see theres a difference from me and you kyle san and other ppl that WERE in shotokan karate and QUIT. im not going to quit shotokan karate, i will never go to another style. i will proove that shotokan karate is that damn good, im different than most shotokan karate kas, i eat sleep and breath shotokan karate, most ppl arnt like me and that is what makes me good, im not saying im the best, but i have that attitude. I know im not the best, but i will try to be. Im going to start going to major MA tournements when i am a 3rd kyu black belt, and show the ppl there what i can really do. If i fail or not thats not what i am worring about now, im training for that moment, and when that day comes i will be ready.

Im not trying to bash you, as I think it is a really good idea to master 1 style. If you are really interested in sparring with some experienced ground grapplers, go down to california and make a friendly challenge to one of the Gracies. As far as I know the Gracies love to expose Brazilian Jiujitsu to other styles.

Oh, I'm wrong? Prove me wrong then, cause I know Brazillian JJS is not a martial art. Fighting in tournament is not self-defense...although it does increase your skills.

Definition of Martial arts from Dictionary.com:

Any of several Asian arts of combat or self-defense, such as aikido, karate, judo, or tae kwon do, usually practiced as sport. Often used in the plural.

where does it say "tournament", for "fight"?

Oh, I'm wrong? Prove me wrong then, cause I know Brazillian JJS is not a martial art. Fighting in tournament is not self-defense

Really I never knew that the US military was teaching its soldiers BJJ in unarmed combat training because they were entering there soldiers in tournaments.

So are you saying that BJJ is a sport ?