Question for you TKD, and Karate people

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id welcom a jujitsu fighter to fight me. for the most id try to keep off the ground, and keep where ill destroy him, on my feet. if i keep off the ground there not gonna stand a chance against me, but if i do get taken to the ground, i am pretty skilled on the ground myself, we dont train alot of groundfighting in my class, but i do have some skill on the ground, enouph to get myself back on my feet.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

id welcom a jujitsu fighter to fight me. for the most id try to keep off the ground, and keep where ill destroy him, on my feet. if i keep off the ground there not gonna stand a chance against me, but if i do get taken to the ground, i am pretty skilled on the ground myself, we dont train alot of groundfighting in my class, but i do have some skill on the ground, enouph to get myself back on my feet.

As it's been pointed out, not all Jujistu schools concentrate on going to the ground. That's a dangerous, and inexperienced, comment to make. Besides, I've always subscribed to the philosophy that anyone has a chance at beating anyone else. There's no guaranteeing ideal circumstances, which means anything can happen.

Ok...just straight to the point: How would you guys defend, and fight a Jujitsu fighter? Cause none of y'all are used to grappling, groundfight...etc...you tend to panic when on the ground. Just a question, no need to tear my head off...

So, how? OH, yeah, don't say: "Strike first...avoid him...WIN!" blah....

I agree. You are quite right to say that most karate guys do not know how to grapple. From my experience I would say that a striker (karate, TKD, etc) will carry on striking whilst on the floor. This is generally what they know best and is what they will do whether on their feet or on the ground.

I do JJ now to cover this weak area in my karate. When I first went to JJ and we were doing ground fighting I remember getting my opponent on his back and looking at him, I said "well that's it! Other than hit you I don't really know what else to do!"

I've always subscribed to the philosophy that anyone has a chance at beating anyone else.

Excellent philosophy :) There is a guy at work that is always challenging me (in jest) my response: "I will not except your challenge because even a loser like you may get a lucky shot!"

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

I bet if you ever actually walked into a BJJ school alot of your thoughts would change...I can tell you have never sparred with a good grappler..everyone thinks thinks alot of things until it comes down to it...i would suggest finding a BJJ school and see if anyone is up for some NHB fighting.

My TKD school actually learns to grapple. Not all TKD or karate schools are the same. It's hard to put one art into a "stereo type" because not all TKD or karate schools teach the same stuff. To some extent, old style TKD did have some type of grappling.

I think Judo is awsome, but it doesn't mean it's the best. I don't think any art is the best. But most arts have something to offer. I've learned bits of many arts (TSD, TKD, Hapkido, Muay Thai, Judo and Jujitsu .... mostly from previous schools being mixed). I took what worked for me, and kept it, and "chucked" the rest. You just have to take what works for you, and go with it.

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

i wish there was a good grappling art around here so i could go there and get a challenge. like i said i dont fear my opponents i welcom them. if i got beat by a ground gappler so be it, but i sure as hell wouldnt go down easy.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

$5 and a pizza says you do.

not even worth it, you would be wasting your money man, you dont even realize. kyle san ppl like you make me strive to be the best, to show what i can do, beacuse man you just dont know. kyle san you just need to shut [edit] up cause you dont know what your talking about.

Shotokan_fighters creed

I think Kyle-san knows a whole lot more than you. Go to https://www.bullshido.us and download the BJJ vs Shotokan karate video and tell us what you'd do differently to the karate black belt.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt