tenkamusou

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my school, we teach to avoid striking the face with a fist for that very reason ... it hurts.

As far as makiwara go, I prefer a heavy bag. I train with an 80 lbs bag. You need to do impact training because you will never learn to strike correctly unless you strike something.

One way to train with a bag that works very well for me: Hang a heavy bag where you can move around it unrestricted. Place small pieces of visible tape on it in places that you would imagine as important striking areas, such as throat, ribs, groin etc.. First just practice striking the bag. After that, practice your accuracy by striking the tape squares. Finally, move around the bag as you would in an actual scenario and practice striking the tape squares randomly, and from different angles and distances. Distaning is important and mind your stances and posture. Try not to repeat the same patterns. I got this idea from http://www.24fightingchickens.com/ in the sparring information. Good stuff!

Marco Lala gives good comments on both the bag and the makiwara, as well as compares traditional karate punches with boxing punches, and explains when to use which and how to use them together, in his excellent instructional video "Karate-Boxing Connection".

In modern times makiwara is not as common has in the "old-days" but its important to develop distance, timing, power etc. from striking something and the most common thing these days is a heavy bag. Also if you dont have one try phone books taped to trees.. but dont hit them to hard or your sure to break something.. hehehe

I don't believe hitting a heavy bag will develop the scar tissue and calcifications that the Makiwara will. Not in the same way, anyway - plus I hate to see the old ways be forgotten, I don't think many dojos still use the makiwara, chi ishis, etc.

IMHO, martial artists should strive to keep the history alive and promote the teachings of discipline, courtesy, honor, etc.. If someone just wants to learn to fight, there are lots of quicker and easier ways :)

That's rediculous. So if your saying that it was traditional for martial artists to break their knuckles so that bones would grow in larger then that is what we should do, then your crazy! People didn't know back then what we know now about the way we are built. Although it is disputed, there is no way repetitive striking of makiwara could be considered healthy. Besides, do you think that some extra tough skin covering your knuckles is going to make them more resistant to breaking? I don't believe that developing scar tissue and calcifications is a healthy practice, and niether does my doctor.

One of the overlook purposes of the makiwara is to train the muscles and tendons all the way up through the shoulder to handle impact. It is not just about knuckles. It is about techique too.

That's rediculous. So if your saying that it was traditional for martial artists to break their knuckles so that bones would grow in larger then that is what we should do, then your crazy! People didn't know back then what we know now about the way we are built. Although it is disputed, there is no way repetitive striking of makiwara could be considered healthy. Besides, do you think that some extra tough skin covering your knuckles is going to make them more resistant to breaking? I don't believe that developing scar tissue and calcifications is a healthy practice, and niether does my doctor.

Yeah, i suppose i am ridiculously crazy, but:

1) you're not supposed to 'break your knuckles' on the makiwara, nor your knees shins or other body parts.

2) Many aspects of karate are not considered 'healthy', we are essentially training for violence, if you're limiting your training based purely on health benefits, take up Yoga, no wait, the original poses can be dangerous, never mind.

3) Striking the makiwara does not build just 'extra tough skin' covering the knuckles, there is more to it than that.

4) I suppose it depends upon ones dedication to the tradionality of ones individual art.

5) most doctors are wimps anyway.

I would humbly suggest:

1)get someone skilled in the use of a makiwara to show you how to use one, or don't use it.

2) relax :)

I understand that some people just want to use a makiwara. That's fine, they're your hands. But the bag is just as effective in my opinion, and is more safe. Granted, if you are careful with a makiwara, then the damage can be minimalized. But I am a software engineer. My hands are my livelyhood. If my hands are damaged enough to make it painful to perform my job, then what do I do? I can't risk it with a makiwara. Using a heavy bag is just as effective at training technique and power as a makiwara. In fact, training with makiwara could be considered counter productive, as the harder you hit, the more it hurts, causing you to ease up at the last instant to reduce the pain. The effectively fools you into thinking you are hitting harder, and that your hands are conditioned to resist the pain better.