• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shuri Ryu Karate

Zack M.

Hi Im new on this website and just looked at the "which style do you take?" thread and saw some other people who took this style. So, if you take this style and want to, will you post things like what belt you are, who your sensei is. you know; just anything, I want to get to know you all, thanks. Also, even if you dont take shuri ryu you should post too if you want to.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey Zack,

I train in a style called Hon-Shin-Do which uses a combination of styles. Shorei Ryu (Shuri Ryu) has its roots in the Chinese system Hsing Yi (an internal soft style martial art), and Okinawan Shuri Te and Naha Te (external hard styles). Shorei Ryu - Hon Shin Do is a blended style of both hard and soft. Here is the bio on our Hanshi:

Hanshi Leo Kozloski (9th Dan)

Leo Kozloski started his martial arts training in early 1965, first training in the art of Judo. Later he started to train with Master John Pachivas in karate. Over the years, Leo has had an opportunity to work with Master Trias who founded the United States Karate Association (USKA). At that time, in the early 1960's, the style of the USKA was GoJu. Later Master Pachivas brought Ken Ogawa from Japan to teach at his dojo. Ken Ogawa was named All Japan in 1972 in the style of GoJu. The USKA then changed to the Shorei Ryu style of karate. After receiving his black belt, Leo left Master Pachivas and started his training in the style of Aikido, which he studied for three years. From this, he moved to Kendo, or the art of the sword and Jujitsu. Leo started teaching at the Hollywood, Florida Y.M.C.A. in 1975 with eighteen students. This lead to the growth of the U.S. Academy of the Martial Arts and Hon-Shin-Do. Along with Bruce Saver, their dream grew to over fifteen black belts teaching students the style of Hon-Shin-Do in over five states. He has won numerous karate tournaments, including the Southeastern Karate Championship.

:karate: :D

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

i dont train in that style, but i do train in shotokan karate, im a 3rd kyu brown belt

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Thanks to the both of you for answering.

Shotokan_Fighter: I know that shotokan is a very popular form of karate, but i dont know much about it, want to help me out?

And as for you gheinisch, I've never met hanshi Kozloski, but I do know Master Pachivas, his picture is in the pinnacle of karate.

I know that shotokan is a very popular form of karate, but i dont know much about it, want to help me out?

you cant join shotokan or prolly any style of karate and expect to know how to fight in 2 weeks or 2 months you wont know enouph to fight in the street, if you do fight you will loose. shotokan takes time to learn i think its better to take the time, and learn basics after basics instead of going straight to learn how to fight. practice makes perfect you have to know basics and kata helps alot on your basics and form thats why shotokan is so up on kata. Shotokan karate is the power house style of karate, when you get in highter belts like i am, you develope power and lots of it, its really unbelivable, at least to me it is. Shotokan karate is all about form in fighting, we belive that form is one of the most important things. if you learn form during your basics, it will come automatically in a fight. in shotokan we get our power from our hips, the hips are the punch, the fist is the delivery system. shotokan karate is a effective style, and does work in the street, i am walking proof. i hope you learned something about shotokan karate from what i said.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate