• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokans fantastic four

Shotokan_Fighter

Shotokan karates fantastic four are the front snap kick, side thrust kick, back thrust kick, and the round kick. i read this article about this and gichin funakoshi was talking about these four kicks, shotokans fantastic four. he developed these kicks for one reason only, for fighting. He developed these kicks beacuse they work, he also talked about "flashy" kicks and why they dont work. He said "what happens when you jump around and kick in the air, you get hit"

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When reading the post title I thought you were talking about the Big 4 kata.

1. Bassai Dai

2. Jion

3. Kanku Dai

4. Empi

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

The front snap kick is pretty dirty. I'd call it the fastest way to the family jewels. :lol:

The back thrust is useful if you get jumped from behind, or want to retreat from somebody that isn't trained much. It's also very powerful.

The other two are pretty standard these days. Everybody should know how effective they are by now... :P

I will add the step behind side kick from the horse stance is VERY powerful as well if not the strongest kick in Shotokan.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Well I think the front kick is the best of all, it fits nicely in combinations as well. Whilst I use the roundhouse kick in sparring, I think it tends to be a little overused by many. I also like to use spinning kicks on tired opponents, as they can be very powerful as well.

Keep Smiling!

When reading the post title I thought you were talking about the Big 4 kata.

1. Bassai Dai

2. Jion

3. Kanku Dai

4. Empi

That is what I thought too. But it was a good article. Thanks for the link. And the reminder how important the basics are.

Someone has been doing their homework. :karate:

thanks for that link, that was the link i was looking for

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate