• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Top 10 Self Defense Martial Arts

To do this using relaxed hands slap them straight across the back of the hand one way, simultaneously slapping across the inside of the wrist the other way. The knife will go flying though, so it can be a bit of a gamble that it doesn't stab you, him or a passing bystander as it shoots off

Very risky move. I have trained this and it is hard in a controlled situation, now try it with someone moving, the adrenaline flowing and the attacker moving the knife hand around. Remember if a knife is shown plan on getting cut.

I have to agree. This move is too fancy and hazardous. That is why I stated using a jacket or chair, etc.

I usually find that when walking home from the pub late at night that there is an appalling dearth of handy jackets and chairs to grab, and what attacker is going to stand still whilst you strip off?

I know someone that has used the move I mentioned and it worked, and they are alive safe and well. Yeah prepare to get cut but preferably not stabbed in the heart or other internal organs!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my school we have practiced knife attacks a few times. It always happens like....He set us to do a little series of techniques, then without we know of it, he fetch a soft rubber knife. Then when we are completely unprepared, he runs towards you and then tries to stab or cut you. After you have parried and countered it, you think hes moving on to the next one. But then he stabs again about five times or so in different places and ways, before moving on to the next. A mighty fine way to learn id say.

I mostly use a downwards Parry to get it away. I cant seem to use any other techniques than that.

What do you find most effective?

Always parry with the outside of your arm, never the underside, as there are major arteries in the underside of your arms, that will have you bleeding out if you get cut. If a knife does come out, commit to being cut, its going to happen. If at ALL possible, run. Dont stand and fight that fight, as you will lose most likely. Chances are good tho, if you see the knife, the person weilding it probably doesnt know how to use it. So if you must fight, always move to the outside, always use the tops of your arms to deflect, and get control of his whole hand, not his wrists, as you can still very easily get cut if you dont have control of his hands. Remove the knife, and then remove the blood from his body with it, and run.

kenpo has some serious knife fighting in it, with some very good techniques against and with a knife. In fact, Mike Pick created a whole knife fighting art based on American Kenpo, and Ed Parkers system. Its very effective stuff.

http://www.ukfkenpo.com/pg/qual_authin.html

In my school we have practiced knife attacks a few times. It always happens like....He set us to do a little series of techniques, then without we know of it, he fetch a soft rubber knife. Then when we are completely unprepared, he runs towards you and then tries to stab or cut you. After you have parried and countered it, you think hes moving on to the next one. But then he stabs again about five times or so in different places and ways, before moving on to the next. A mighty fine way to learn id say.

I mostly use a downwards Parry to get it away. I cant seem to use any other techniques than that.

What do you find most effective?

Cheers.

-

There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.

-

An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.

This list is a silly list, and I surmise it was compiled mainly by younger practitioners with very limited experience in actual altercations.

The truth is, the best possible "style" is no style at all. If I had to label this, the philosophy of JKD, which is what it was intended to be, had it right when it attempted to discard traditional styles. When you commit yourself to any one or two particular styles of any martial art, you severely limit the set of skills available to you in a confrontation. (which is moot, but I'll get to that in a minute) When you think, "I know Karate/TKD/JKD/Wing Chun/Whatever and I can handle myself in a fight", you immeditaely limit your options and opportunities in that altercation to only what you have learned in whatever particular art or style you subscribe to.

Actual confrontations and fights are far, far different from the training or sparring environment (which hopefully most of you participate in). Your ultimate goal in a confrontation is simply SURVIVAL, not to win or subdue your opponent. If this means using JKD or wing chun or simply running away or kicking your opponent in the groin and running away, so be it. Too often we have the mindset of, "If I'm in a fight, I must win by conquering my opponent." On the street, your only goal should be survival -- not winning.

On the nature of confrontations themselves, those that I have had the unfortunate experience of being involved with always involved one of the following two characteristics: (a) either the assailant was considerably larger than I was, in which case practically any martial art was rendered useless (and size does matter) or (b) the opponent was armed with some sort of weapon, be it a knife, gun, or blunt object. Realistic situations such as this requires one to forgo the conventions of any particular style to which he subscribes and simply do what is necessary to survive. In the case of a much larger or armed opponent (or both), the best bet is to simply give him what he wants. If he wants your money, throw your wallet on the ground and run -- he'll have what he wants and you'll be long gone. If he wants your life/skin/behind, then you better either hope you can run faster than he can or find yourself an equalizer. Simply attacking him in an area such as the groin may not work, especially if he has a handgun; he can recover and shoot you in the back before you can put safe distance between you.

Martial arts are great fun to learn and practice -- I still practice JKD and wing chun regularly, and enjoy learning new styles (Zhui Quan especially). I have been through Karate, Aikido, and Tae Kwon Do. However, I have found that most situations in which martial arts would work were easier solved simply by swallowing my pride and walking away. Situations I have been in where I was required to defend myself, I always found the loaded .40-cal semi-auto I legally carry on my hip much more useful than any martial art.

Just some food for thought. Please don't assume that since you know ten different highly-touted styles of martial art that you're prepared for any situation that arrives.

My views are best summed up by a scene from Return of the Dragon. Although it may not have been intentional, Bruce Lee made a powerful statement in one scence in the restaurant. After defeating several thugs with his immeasurable skill that he trained years for, the character Bruce Lee plays is subjugated by some unskilled thug with a gun. This is the 21st century.

A style is a way to learn how to fight (among other things), the style is not the fight itself. People claiming to be learning JKD are just learning a different style and lying to themselves they are not. JKD is a philosphy which can be incorporated in any martial and non martial applications.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you actually knew something about Jeet Kun Do you would realize that its not a style. It is a philosophy born of pure effectiveness, it is a culmination of concepts that work for you. My JKD is different than your JKD, and Bruce's JKD. So with that said here is my list:

1 Krav-basic and effective enough for anyone to use

2 JKD- for more advanced practitioners

3 Progressive Karate

4 BJJ

5 Joe Lewis Kickboxing

6 Kali/Arnis

7 Silat

8 Kung Fu

9 Ed parker Kempo

10 Kodokan Judo

I have used a mixture of all of these styles in my training and I have never lost a fight.

*! the best self defense is Jeet Kune Do, the style bruce lee founded, created and developed. all the rest are crap, no one in all time will ever beat bruce lee's Jeet Kune Do style. JKD was and still is the ultimate martial art style that bruce lee used, and no other martial artist will ever match.

and thats why they always say countless times, that bruce lee was way ahead of his time!

"Knowledge Without Action is Useless"

Nice of you to make broad, * statements about a whole group of people. If this was the smith & wesson .40 cal forum, your points would be valid. This is a martial arts forum, where people of like mind can come and express themselves, and trade info / ask questions. Young, old, 1 style or 1000, you can come here and ask questions, and speak your mind. Who are you to belittle that? If you dont like it, take your no style havin *, and your .40 cal, and leave dood. wtf.

This list is a silly list, and I surmise it was compiled mainly by younger practitioners with very limited experience in actual altercations.

Cheers.

-

There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.

-

An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.

so.... if none of those styles existed beforehand, what would jkd look like?

i mean, if jkd had started from a clean slate, with no possible reference to any existing martial art, would it contain in it's core teachings (from legit guys like dan inosanto and his students) chi sau/rolling hands, silat, kali and escrima drills?

would it train in grappling as seen in modern jutistu/bjj?

there is a world of difference between cross-training, training in multiple styles, jkd training and copying moves from lots of books and websites and calling it jkd.

on a principles perspective, from my knowledge/experience.

wing chun, jkd and kempo are all forms of the same.

the only difference is that they refererence a different set of core movements.

i have taken movements not taught in wing chun and used them is sparring.

i have flowed from wing chun to chin na to a take down + hold/submission (arm bar if you must know....)

is that jkd?

nope.

"When you think, "I know Karate/TKD/JKD/Wing Chun/Whatever and I can handle myself in a fight", you immeditaely limit your options and opportunities in that altercation to only what you have learned in whatever particular art or style you subscribe to."

not quite.

by that rationale, i can say that by carrying a gun with knowledge and experience in using it,

you are you limiting yourself to only using your gun in all situations.

this kind of view i find very common.

you have this view and are imposing it on us.

you assume that because i practice wing chun, i can only do those things in a situation.

that assumes that if something i haven't come across in my training turns up i would not know how to deal with it.

that isn't a problem in style, that is a problem in training.

that was what bruce lee was saying when he said that traditional styles/methods were too rigid and fixed.

he was talking about training.

think about it.

a style is a dead thing.

doesn't matter if you do it in a traditional class or a jkd class, that thing is the same.

the difference is what you do with it.

some wing chun shools only do rolling hands.

some places gear up and scrap.

a lot do something in between.

all use the same style/tools.

i've mentioned this before but once, when asked about what JKD really was, bruce lee answered "pak sau and hip".

if jkd was about no style and no technique, why did he sum it up as a fundental (conceptual) technique from a traditional martial art?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."