• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Top 10 Self Defense Martial Arts

I heard somewhere that if someone shows you a knife (i.e. waving it around) they are less likely to use it. it's the people that keep it secreted about their person until they strike you have to worry about.

If a person is holding a knife to you the best thing to do is get rid of the weapon, even if they punch you after it's better than being stabbed. To do this using relaxed hands slap them straight across the back of the hand one way, simultaneously slapping across the inside of the wrist the other way. The knife will go flying though, so it can be a bit of a gamble that it doesn't stab you, him or a passing bystander as it shoots off :lol:

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard somewhere that if someone shows you a knife (i.e. waving it around) they are less likely to use it. it's the people that keep it secreted about their person until they strike you have to worry about.

that's probably right but dont depend on it. When a knife comes out your probabaly getting cut. :karate:

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

that's probably right but dont depend on it. When a knife comes out your probabaly getting cut. :karate:

Yeah, I think you are probably right - or at the very least that's the way you should train. You will get cut but minimise the risk and the potential fatality of the strike.

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I agree.

If a person is holding a knife to you the best thing to do is get rid of the weapon, even if they punch you after it's better than being stabbed. To do this using relaxed hands slap them straight across the back of the hand one way, simultaneously slapping across the inside of the wrist the other way. The knife will go flying though, so it can be a bit of a gamble that it doesn't stab you, him or a passing bystander as it shoots off

I disagree. Use a jacket, chair, anything for extra leverage or equalizer. Where i am from, you likely to have a gun pointed at you instead of a knife

I disagree. Use a jacket, chair, anything for extra leverage or equalizer. Where i am from, you likely to have a gun pointed at you instead of a knife

A jacket or a chair? If I was the kind of person to point a gun at you and you started messing around with chairs or jackets etc. you would be dead before you so much as got a real grasp on it. A gun is even quicker to use than a knife, with the added extra that you don't need to be close distance to use it. People with guns are all hyped up by th power surge, the adrenaline rush and they'll also probably be fearful too. The quickest thing you can use is your hands, so use them. The technique works - why go searching for added complications?

I speaking of using items against a knife, not a gun.

On another note-Knives are least liking to be pulled

Not where I live and I train for the circumstances that I will encounter. The likelihood of a knife is small enough, but a gun.. it's just not going to happen.

To do this using relaxed hands slap them straight across the back of the hand one way, simultaneously slapping across the inside of the wrist the other way. The knife will go flying though, so it can be a bit of a gamble that it doesn't stab you, him or a passing bystander as it shoots off

Very risky move. I have trained this and it is hard in a controlled situation, now try it with someone moving, the adrenaline flowing and the attacker moving the knife hand around. Remember if a knife is shown plan on getting cut.

Wing Chun Kuen Alliance

https://www.wing-chun.us

To do this using relaxed hands slap them straight across the back of the hand one way, simultaneously slapping across the inside of the wrist the other way. The knife will go flying though, so it can be a bit of a gamble that it doesn't stab you, him or a passing bystander as it shoots off

Very risky move. I have trained this and it is hard in a controlled situation, now try it with someone moving, the adrenaline flowing and the attacker moving the knife hand around. Remember if a knife is shown plan on getting cut.

I have to agree. This move is too fancy and hazardous. That is why I stated using a jacket or chair, etc.