• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Top 10 Self Defense Martial Arts

one of most forbidden martial art is india's KALARIPAYAT

This is similar to wing chun, karate and mother of japanese akito

this also deals with weapons handling

this practice is given only from 4 years to 5 years child from thier begining to lifetime

really mistical MA

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there are styles thats better than others(to know that, you will have to look at the training and philosofy...my guess). Personally Im getting a little sick of hearing "My style can beat all the other styles. Just like my dad can beat up your dad". I get enough of that childish talk at my school.

To state all of this can be considered contradictory.

When you ask the gentleman what he wants he replies “I just bought this hunting knife and thought I would have some fun and stick someone”

What- someone with a knife would LEAST likely say this.

Your back is up against the wall and you have less than 3 seconds to react, what do you do and which martial arts you think would help you deal with this situation."

I would through down my bag, open it and take out my nunchachu an beat the living sh.. out of him. and I can easily do that in 3 seconds.

Wrong-if you back is against the wall and you have 3 seconds, it better not be spent thumbing through your bag for nunchakus. And what makes you so confident that you can beat the guy with the knife?

one of most forbidden martial art is india's KALARIPAYAT

Is it?

This is similar to wing chun, karate and mother of japanese akito

Where have you read or discovered this?

this also deals with weapons handling

How many weapons and what are their names?

this practice is given only from 4 years to 5 years child from thier begining to lifetime

Not exactly

really mistical MA

Nothing mystical about it.

This infomation, which I had long written and noted, I have received from a Indian friend of mine:

Kalaripayit, used by Malayalam speaking people, comes from two words-Kalari-place of battle or battlefield and Payit-training or practice. There are two styles-Nothern and Southern. Like China, the Northern has more kicking-the Southern-circular hand and low kicks. Masters of this art are also physicians. Some have a vast knowledge of healing, including latest medical methods. Others have cultural or folk medcine, called Ayurvedic, per a small village. Almost all of the masters have a knowledge of massage-a key practice before and after training. Beginners have to do this more often before any other training begins. Training is not year round per specifc season it is too hot to train.

Before practice begins, there are rituals to be made. Somewhat like salutation in other arts. My friend told me that the master he had, the students had to pay respect to the Master, the earth, and ancestors or the "house". Per as specified, there was kissing the master's feet, touching the ground, and footwork gesture. They also have a moral code to understand. There are pre-"warm up" exercises. Then formal training begins and forms called suvadus begins.

After this, fighting methods are practiced. Everything from defense and combinations from the use of arms and legs to unarming someone with a weapon. Weapons are simple from sticks, animal horns, and bladed ones. They have names like urumi and bundi.

One has to get accepted or appointed by refferal to study from the particular master that my friend had studied. The art is not forbidden, but forbidden to teach to "common outsiders". It has a ancient history outdating many other Asian arts, including Japanese. There exists old satras (sutras or sudras) written on palm-leaf pages of hierarchy, practices, and the marmadi-secret vital points taught to advanced students.

I have much other info and discussions from my Indian friend on this. All of which, and our friendship, were over 3 decades ago.

E D P A R K E R ' S A M E R I C A N K E N P O

Cheers.

-

There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.

-

An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.

I don't believe there is any one style that is better than another. It is all about how dedicated and how hard you train in your MA that makes you an effective fighter. Someone who trains in Judo has the ability to take someone out in Karate. Just like someone in Tae Kwon Do has the ability to take someone out in Aikido. 8)

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought."

Basho

"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill."

Sun Tsu

Assuming this has not been mentioned in the previous twenty-three pages (very unlikely, but oh well), I basically believe that some arts are more practical than others street wise. That is, high kicks in taekwondo may not be the best idea; this is not to say however that taekwondo as an art is ineffective in such situations. With a base degree of understanding and experience in confrontational situations, a taekwondo practitioner will adjust his techniques to be more efficient. What I look for is moreso the 'martial knowledge' taught by arts. Because of this, I generally frown upon those classes that focus on tournament fighting or just katas. Therefore because of my aforementioned views, I would say Okinawan karate and Chinese kung fu would be the most effective styles due to years upon years of refinement and the basic philosophies incorperated into the arts. This is just my opinion, however, and does not represent the absolute truth (just as a reminder for those who may be offended) on fighting.

in my opinion it depends on the person.Like you've seen movies of different MA's.Depending on the main character and his style,it shows that his style is betetr than other styles he my fight in the movie.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

here's what i don't get.

why do people assume that tkd guys WILL use high kicks and jumppy spinny stuff in a fight?

cos they do them in demos?

as it has been said, don't assume;

it makes an '*' out of 'u' and 'me'.

thank you david brent....

:brow:

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I would through down my bag, open it and take out my nunchachu an beat the living sh.. out of him. and I can easily do that in 3 seconds.

Wrong-if you back is against the wall and you have 3 seconds, it better not be spent thumbing through your bag for nunchakus. And what makes you so confident that you can beat the guy with the knife?

It was meant as a joke(I dont really care if its funny or not, anymore).

What I would really do(if I have no other choice but to fight) is propebly to wait til he strikes with the knife. Then try a downwards parrie, grab the knifehand, give him a backfist in the nose, and then make him drop the knife by kicking his arm with my kne. Then beat him down. If hes down, call the cops or run. If I cant beat him...Then I will push or kick him away, and then RUN.