• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Top 10 Self Defense Martial Arts

i always thought the sup gee sau is a little form....

or is that the sup yee sik?

too many forms....

anyway, did you mean after the 'drawing of centre+marking upper and lower?

after the 'drawing' we just do a centre punch, cirlce, close withdraw, left hand then right hand.

back to the stances

i think pan nam's wing chun has a slightly wider stance.

from what i've seen, they open theirs 4 times (if that makes any sense) where as we open twice.

also, their knife form is nothing like yip man's.

same goes for the dummy form.

fascinating to watch....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drunken Monkey,

Sup Yee Sik is the 12 positions form (in our school anyway). Sup Jee Sao is the first segment of the Siu Nim tao form. Too many forms and too many spellings.....lol.

Stances. I have seen the wider stances too. In my style however, we open twice as well. Here is something that you will find interesting. Do a search on the internet for Wing Choon (yes correct spelling). I believe that you will come across some interesting material and some facinating info on real kung fu in general.

Until next time,

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

• 1 month later...

I can see already that there is a "certain" bias toward TKD. I would think that probably Chuck Norris, and Allen Steen, and Jhoon Rhee would all dissagree that TKD has no self defense value.

Maybe it's me that is biased about it. I would say that JJ and Aikido, as well as Kobuto, may should be in the list. :karate:

10 best styles for self-defense...depending on the situation as follows:

1) negotiation

2) walking away

3) getting a police officer

4) the sound of a gun cocking

5) if need be using the gun

6) using your surrondings

7) ground fighting

8) trapping

9) joint locks

10) being able to punch or kick with devastating rusults.

these are in no particular order but i have found walking away and negotiating the best

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

I was curious about Kenpo - is that an actual MA that teaches self defense? I didnt see it on the list of the first few threads. Thanks!

Interesting that you should ask. I am currently studying American Kenpo [aka Parker Kenpo]. I was waiting until the end of this thread to mention it.

I am rather surprised to see so few mentions of it in this thread. Is there generally that low of an opinion regarding Kenpo, or is it really just not very popular? It seems strange that it would be un-popular since Mr Parker had such a HUGE influence on SO many Martial Artists.

Now I haven't been studying terribly long [i'm only a yellow belt], but from what I've learned, and what I've seen, and what I've heard, it seems to be the Kenpo is a very effective MA for self defense. [i won't go into any arguments over whether it is better than anything else. Simply that it seems effective].

I think one of the problems is that Kenpo is a little more complex than those who aren't familiar with it realize. Basically it starts out with some fairly simple [and potentially effective] self defense techniques based on various attacks. While shortly effective, this obviously has shortcomings if the attack or results of your defense deviate from the book version; which is why perhaps many folks short-change Kenpo.

But what they miss is that eventually you learn that these techniques, and the other things that you learn [kicks, punches, eye-gouges etc], become an alphabet that you use to learn the "language" of Kenpo. As you gain experiense and knowledge, you learn to graft various techniques together so that as soon as the situation changes, you can simply flow into another type of strike or technique. I haven't gotten to that point yet, I'm still learning my A,B,C's; but we've done workouts where we will start with a technique, and then we have to change it in the middle, and do 5 more strikes. We do this over-and over and we can't do the same combination of strikes each time. Even the guys in the middle level belts are ungodly fast , and each strike can do real damage.

One of the reasons I wanted to post is to reply to a MUCH earlier post asking about an MA that teaches defense against multiple attackers. Kenpo is such an MA, and it is know for its multiple-attacker defense, as well as VERY fast hand-speed. I'm sure there are other MA styles that do multiple attacker defense, but I'm not familiar with any in my limited knowledge.

Anyway, as far as self-defense is concerned, my current instructer may not be a super-high-level Kenpo god [2nd black], but he was a policeman for 20 years, and had many opportunities to use his Kenpo on the street. This obviously gives him a lot of experience with just what did and didn't work, and he passes that on to us. I find this one of the most rewarding parts of learning Kenpo here.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure it is true, but from what I understand, Chuck Norris was once asked which Martial Art he would LEAST like to defend against, and his answer was Mr. Parker's Kenpo Karate...

Just food for thought.

Choose the art that fits you, and enjoy learning it. Just make sure you find a good school for your art. Any good art can suck if tought poorly in a poor environment, and probably any art can be wonderful if tought well in a good environment.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. :)

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

but no one art is going to be truely better because there will always be another argument as to why it isn't.

the point is, all arts have flaws.

some are good against some but weak against others.

that is why mixed martial arts are so popular. they take the strong bits of all arts and train in the moves that work.

the fact that it is called "MIXED martial arts" kinda suggests that even the pros accept that training in just one art (even a supposedly superior art) is not enough.

Ive ben saying this for 2 decades

Bad thing to do is list Martial Arts in this fashion.

The topic is Self Defense Martial Arts not methods or other:

Alertness

Loss of Ego (no need to prove you da baddest mamajamma)

Black belt in Run-Fu

Lots of friends

Shotgun

Howbitzer

A bomb

Cruise missile

Don't be there the trouble is at all

100 pals lined up behind you

bullit proff vest

bow and arrow

an F-14 Tomcat

AH-64 Apache D type "Longbow" helicopter

Be ready

Don't be in places you should not be

Don't hang out with bad people

Don't Drink

Don't Use Durgs

Don't insult strangers

Don't cheat or you girlfriend

Don't let your pride make you do dumb things

LOL at yourself

Be Respectful

The art is ONLY as good as the Artist.

I’ve seen many martial artists of many styles/systems go down.

If you can’t take a very hard hit, then you are not going to be thoroughly well in self-defense.

• 4 weeks later...

This debate on top 10 could go on forever!!!!! The only true way to find the top martial arts would be impossible. You would have to take 1 person and split them into several individuals and then send them off to train in all the different styles. After this is done you would have to bring them back and have each individual (that originated from the 1) fight to the death and the last one left we would declare that system of fighting the #1. Even with this impossible process you would still have a hard time determining numbers 2-10 since each fight is to the death some of the betters might be killed prior to different matches. Anyways this is a crazy post but I thought I would fill everyone in on my crazy opinion.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

1. Be ready

2. Don't be in places you should not be

3. Don't hang out with bad people

4. Don't Drink

5. Don't Use Durgs

6. Don't insult strangers

7. Don't cheat or you girlfriend

8. Don't let your pride make you do dumb things

9. LOL at yourself

10. Be Respectful

Hows that.

:nod: